VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I set external cache to enabled inside the BIOS, this mobo won't boot up from floppy or HDD. The BIOS POST screen freezes after it displays the familiar table of component information, such as processor, speed, cache info etc etc...

If I set external cache to disabled inside the BIOS, I can boot up OK with either floppy or HDD.

The mobo has 256k of cache. The jumpers appear OK. The BIOS POST info table on screen tells me I have 256k of cache memory. A BIOS POST analyzer card doesn't help, because it gives the number FF 63, which is (I think) the last operation a mobo can perform which is to "boot attempt on int 19".

If I was a millionaire, I'd pay someone to sort out all this crap for me. 🤣

Only joking.

Reply 2 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! On the mobo, the default jumper setting for "second cache wait states" is 0 -

» Secondary cache speed 0 wait states | J33 | pins 1 & 2 closed

But the default BIOS setting for cache wait state is 1. I changed that to 0, et voila!, the mobo boots up OK! 😀

This default BIOS setting needs to be altered to match exactly with the default mobo jumper setting. Strange: the fact that both of these default settings seem to be set to different values.

Reply 3 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another problem has emerged with this board. I managed to get an ISA soundblaster working on it, but only by selecting the "load BIOS defaults" option from the BIOS setup area - otherwise, the Creative diagnose.exe failed on all DMA choices. (I think "load BIOS defaults" is the same as load failsafe options, as opposed to "load setup defaults", which is the same as "best performance" BIOS settings.)

Anyway, the problem I'm now having is that I'm trying to get my ISA-based CD-ROM controller card to work. When the board boots up, it gets stuck on the auto/config section which attempts to initialize the CD-ROM drive. (It then fails in its attempt to find the CD-ROM drive, and continues to the DOS prompt.)

I'm guessing that I can bypass using the CD-ROM controller, and simply slave the CD-ROM drive off from my integrated IDE HDD ribbon cable. But what if I replace this IDE HDD with a compact flash IDE contraption - I won't be able to do that, will I?

In any case, I've always had success using my ISA-based CD-ROM controller card, and I'd like to know why it's failing on this particular board. This board seems to have some unusual jumper options, such as controlling various IRQs, SCSI options, and other uncommon options. It seems a bit of an awkard board to get working, certainly for a novice.