VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone's robbed all the jumpers off this thing. (Probably cos it doesn't work anymore.) If I attach a HDD to it, the mobo won't POST. But if I detach the HDD, and boot up with nothing attached to this VLB IO card, the mobo POSTs, and tells me there's no serial or parallel ports. Methinks it's because everything has been disabled on the card, due to the fact that the jumpers have all disappeared!

Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot in advance. 😀

Attachments

• vlb3.jpg
    Filename
    vlb3.jpg
    File size
    42.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by fseek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote on 2009-05-27, 09:17:

Someone's robbed all the jumpers off this thing. (Probably cos it doesn't work anymore.) If I attach a HDD to it, the mobo won't POST. But if I detach the HDD, and boot up with nothing attached to this VLB IO card, the mobo POSTs, and tells me there's no serial or parallel ports. Methinks it's because everything has been disabled on the card, due to the fact that the jumpers have all disappeared!

Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot in advance. 😀

Hi,

I got the VC.1 version of this card, there are some differences in the PCB layout but the connectors and the jumpers seem to be the same.

Unfortunately I don't know the meaning of these jumper positions because I haven't tested the card yet.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the v1.1 card that has a silkscreened jumper labels on it. I'll get the picture posted later today.

For the OP, what is the fab date on the Tans TS8310 chip on your card? Should look something like 94xx or 95xx.

I'm curious to find out if you have an earlier or later rev of the board.

Looks like the v1.0 were from late 1994 and used "TS8310" and the v1.1 were early 1995 and used "TS8310a"

Reply 5 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go.

Photo Apr 03 2024, 5 48 25 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Apr 03 2024, 5 48 25 PM.jpg
File size
645.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Photo Apr 03 2024, 5 47 00 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Apr 03 2024, 5 47 00 PM.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yes, that's 1/2 a tantalum capacitor on the edge of the frame. I think it fell out of the a micro-atx power supply I was handling yesterday. Smelled so bad of old smoke that I was just going to recycle it