VOGONS

PIII, Athlon mobo w ISA slot remommendation

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since my Tyan S370 mobo passed away I'm looking to replace it with either a S370 mobo with support up to 1ghz or above or a S462 mobo...must have an Isa slot for good legacy sound support.
You guys have any recommendations? the Abit BX 133 Raid looks promising 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 100, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don't you get the something from the proven ASUS P2B series? With a slocket adapter you should be able to use S370 CPUs and you get 2 or 3 ISA slots depending on the model.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 100, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

Why don't you get the something from the proven ASUS P2B series? With a slocket adapter you should be able to use S370 CPUs and you get 2 or 3 ISA slots depending on the model.

Forgot to add I want a mobo with factory proven 133mhz FSB 😀

Reply 3 of 100, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But do all these BX 133 mainboards have the divisor necessary to not overclock the AGP and PCI bus when run at 133 MHz?

Reply 4 of 100, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

But do all these BX 133 mainboards have the divisor necessary to not overclock the AGP and PCI bus when run at 133 MHz?

Yep, the Abit BX 133 has all the means for that

Reply 5 of 100, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unlikely, the AGP divisor problem at 133MHz FSB is tied to the i440BX chipset. Abit cannot fix it, only Intel could have done that, bit they did not. See:
ABIT BX133-RAID i440BX Socket-370 ATX

So you can still love the i440BX chipset for what it is or go with the VIA Apollo Pro again or a KT133. Intel's i440BX successors have zero ISA slots and no DDMA support.

If Slot-1 on a i440BX is also an option (Plenty of slot-1 to S370 adapters available) here is an incomplete list I posted earlier.

Attachments

• Filename
    440bx.gif
    File size
    20.63 KiB
    Downloads
    400 downloads
    File comment
    Incomplete list: Slot-1 i440BX mainboards
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 100, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about my board?

Abit KT7A V1.3, KT133a, supports all Athlon XPs (even >3200+), has 6 PCI and 1 ISA slot together with AGP 1/2/4x. Tried it in DOS w/AWE32 and of course it works flawlessly.

Its the best and newest ISA slot board out there and its 3dfx-friendly too 😀 Equip it with 1.5gb RAM, a mobile barton, few hard drives in RAID and you got yourself a computer that can run everything from DOS to Windows XP 😉 The only downside is that its too fast for some dos games. But for those ones there is DOSbox, which is running pretty damn good on this CPU, and MIDI is still coming from AWE32 (or daughterboards/Rolands)

Edit: of course, if you are less of a freak like me, you can just as well plug in an el-cheapo duron/athlon 500-1400Mhz which also works quite good. Maybe even a tbred B on a lower voltage, so you can run it with passive cooling.

Reply 7 of 100, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, as far as I remember, 89Mhz AGP bus should not be a problem for V5 5500. Mine worked on 80Mhz back home and as far as I've read, the more the merrier, as far as V5 AGP is concerned. So you might just as well go with BX133 if you have 3dfx 😉

Just found the info that 92Mhz is about as much as V5 can go:
hothardware.com/hh_files/Motherboards/S ... AID(3).htm

Last edited by elfuego on 2009-06-09, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 100, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also add that with a KT133A/Mobile Barton based system you can change the speed rather easily. I can switch from 1.67ghz to 800mhz with a simple trip to the BIOS. You can go even slower than that by flipping a jumper for the 100mhz FSB, and get all the way down to 600mhz.

Caveat Emptor:
a) 300-watt Power Supply is a MUST!
b)The EPOX and ABIT boards from this time may suffer from the infamous "Bad Capacitor" conditon. Mine has a few suspect, although it seems to run fine.
c)The 686b Southbridge bug: Due to improper BIOS programming, there was a problem that affected large IDE transfers. Just practice a little care with certain BIOS settings, use one of the 3rd party patches, or something else for DISK I/O (SCSI, integrated RAID, ATA expansion cards) and this becomes a non-issue.
d)I have never been able to get Powernow! (software multiplier adjustments) or HLT / Bus disconnects (software-based processor cooling) to work right (maybe related to the manufacturer or board revision).
e)(speculative)I use a Athlon XP-M 2500+. Because the motherboards lack one of the FDIV control pins, I can't use a multiplier over 12.5x without somehow shorting a pin on the socket. Conversely, it is reported that the 2600+ will let you use the higher range up to 24x, but then I'm not sure how to get below 12.5x. I suppose the ideal solution would be to get a 2500+ or lower, and then solder a pair of wires to the back of the board, leading to a case mounted switch for easy range selection while powered down. While your at it make another switch for the FSB selection.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 10 of 100, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ You cant go under 13x multiplier if default multiplier is over 13x (barton 2600+, mobility bartons and tbreds >2100+). Either its 5x-12.5x or its 13x-24x:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/Multiplier … s_reference.htm

And its also true that only 9.0X/17X works on KT7a at 133Mhz FSB.

Reply 11 of 100, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

If Slot-1 on a i440BX is also an option (Plenty of slot-1 to S370 adapters available) here is an incomplete list I posted earlier.

What is 'STR'?

Some corrections and clarifications:

-The P2B does have the SB-LINK header - just checked mine 1.10 rev (which is not the latest).

-On the Abit BE6 ATA-66 is from the Highpoint Controller channels, the channels from the PIIX4E provide only ATA-33 (some people prefer 'real' ('BIOS accessible') on-board IDE).

Reply 12 of 100, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

STR means Suspend To RAM, the ACPI S3 standby state.

Then the P2B SB-Link entry should read 'sometimes', as I am sure I have seen them without SB-Link too. Are you sure you have the P2B and not the P2B-F?

In the list ATA-66 or higher means the mainboard has an additional IDE controller, like highpoint. The i440BX chipset itself only supports ATA-33.

Reply 14 of 100, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Then the P2B SB-Link entry should read 'sometimes', as I am sure I have seen them without SB-Link too. Are you sure you have the P2B and not the P2B-F?

Checked both - my P2B (3 ISA slots, so it's the 'basic' one) does have SB-LINK, my P2B-DS (2 ISA slots, similar to the P2B-S) also does have one.

Amigaz wrote:

uhh..did my thread turn into a "besserwisser" thread? 😉

How dare you interrupt our debate? Such outrageous behavior should be forbidden on this board 😉
To the point... There isn't much choice, if you want a mobo with ISA for late P3/early Athlon. Pairing a PIII with a non-Intel chipset is so... impure 😀. Running BX at 133 makes overclocks the buses, and I wouldn't recommend running a retroPC out of specification. For an Athlon, the best would be KT133A, but there aren't many mobos with even one ISA slot and, as prophase_j said, the SouthBridge is buggy. If I had to choose, I would go for the KT133A and a mainboard of either a 'good' brand (ASUS, Gigabyte) or a 'workstation' brand (Tyan Trinity KT-A, Iwill KK266-R, Supermicro (nothing here)).

Reply 15 of 100, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
Checked both - my P2B (3 ISA slots, so it's the 'basic' one) does have SB-LINK, my P2B-DS (2 ISA slots, similar to the P2B-S) al […]
Show full quote
gerwin wrote:

Checked both - my P2B (3 ISA slots, so it's the 'basic' one) does have SB-LINK, my P2B-DS (2 ISA slots, similar to the P2B-S) also does have one.

Amigaz wrote:

uhh..did my thread turn into a "besserwisser" thread? 😉

How dare you interrupt our debate? Such outrageous behavior should be forbidden on this board 😉
To the point... There isn't much choice, if you want a mobo with ISA for late P3/early Athlon. Pairing a PIII with a non-Intel chipset is so... impure 😀. Running BX at 133 makes overclocks the buses, and I wouldn't recommend running a retroPC out of specification. For an Athlon, the best would be KT133A, but there aren't many mobos with even one ISA slot and, as prophase_j said, the SouthBridge is buggy. If I had to choose, I would go for the KT133A and a mainboard of either a 'good' brand (ASUS, Gigabyte) or a 'workstation' brand (Tyan Trinity KT-A, Iwill KK266-R, Supermicro (nothing here)).

🤣 😁

I think I've found a mobo I'm going to snatch after your recommendations....same mobo prophase_j has

Reply 16 of 100, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could get a Celeron 1200 (Tualatin), Slot adapter for Tualatin, and a mobo such as Abit BF6/BE6-II with 1-2 ISA slots. Gotta make sure that the mobo can do the 1.45v of a Tualatin. Might be best to just go with Coppermine. Heck you could build a collection of Slot 1 CPUs ranging from a P2-233 to a P3-1000.

Reply 17 of 100, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Heck you could build a collection of Slot 1 CPUs ranging from a P2-233 to a P3-1000.

That's just what I've done. My range goes from a Celeron 266 to a Coppermine 800. In order to go any higher than a Coppermine 800, do I need to mess about with "adapters"? (- never used those gizmos b4.) I don't think my Supermicro slot 1 board can cope with anything faster than 800 mhz running at 100 FSB. For anything faster, I think I'm gonna go the Athlon route - they seem pretty good at doing SVGA games!

Reply 18 of 100, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are Coppermine 1GHz CPUs but if you have a 800 MHz you're good 2 go IMO.

You only need adapters if you are working with Socket 370 CPUs or Tualatin chips that have a different pinout (all of them).

440BX works ok at 133 Mhz, but the AGP cards don't work well or at all with the 90MHz AGP clock usually.

Reply 19 of 100, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ended up with this one
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& … em=130310885116

Haven't found any good info what the max spec for a CPU is I can use in it...