VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CT2760 rev 3, the "funny" one with some physical jumpers, that also uses setcard.exe utility to mess about with its other resources. Stick on a waveblaster2 to its wavetable header, run Dark Forces, and it crashes with a stack overflow. Also, I tried a Yamaha clone DB, and the music sounded weird. I abandoned the AWE32's wavetable header, and just used this card for digital effects, and mounted both daughterboards (one at a time of course) on to a Roland 401-AT card, and the music worked fine.

I wonder if the CT2760 rev 3 has a buggy wavetable header? It seemed OK for some games, but not others.

Reply 1 of 3, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dark Forces sound support is a piece of shit. It lockups with many famous soundcards used as WT daughtercard host, not only Creative products. Yeah, authentic controllers by Roland works ok with it, surprize!

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what are you doing in your config.sys and autoexec.bat? And what does this system consist of?

I've played the game successfully with SB16+SCD15, AWE32 and with lots of Ensoniq cards.

Reply 3 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

what are you doing in your config.sys and autoexec.bat? And what does this system consist of?

I have sinced "moved on" from this testing, but from memory recall, my DOS 6 config and auto files just contained the bare minimum - I even asked DF's setup utility to make me a boot disk, which was very basic.

Apart from the usual SET BLASTER line, I had a diagnose /s line (and also no aweutil /s line.) Perhaps the wavetable header was acting strangely because I used setcard.exe to alter the base memory address to 300H, because the Roland 401-AT card was using 330H. Maybe that threw a spanner in the works?

I've got a fair number of Creative SB16s / AWE32s, and this is the first time I've seen this problem. The AWE32 in question was OK, so long as I only asked it to do the sound effects, not DB wavetable music + effects.

The machine in question was an Asus socket 7 board (P166mmx) - a TXP4X rev 3.01. I must admit that it behaves a bit oddly from time to time - on POST, sometimes you see weird characters on the screen.

Actually, I'm happy with the AWE32 (effects) + Roland 401-AT with DB wavetable (music) configuration. That was the route I was going to take - I just posted my O.P. topic because it seemed a bit unusual.