VOGONS

Reply 20 of 107, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These CPU card boards sure are interesting toys. 😀

I have been searching around for info on the intel 440BX boards, and came up with this:

Intel SE440BX Intel's max CPU support: Pentium III 450 MHz […]
Show full quote

Intel SE440BX
Intel's max CPU support: Pentium III 450 MHz

Intel SE440BX-2
Intel: The following board revisions (AA numbers) support coppermine processors:
754552-200 or later
754558-200 or later
A01450-200 or later.
BIOS DATE: August 23, 2000, Release 17.0

Intel SE440BX-3
OEM board.

Intel RC440BX
Micro ATX, nVIDIA TNT 128-bit graphics 8MB and Creative Labs ES1373 SoundBlaster Audio PCI 64V, no AGP slot.
Intel's max CPU support: Katmai 500/550/600 MHz
But supported only on these AA versions:
718163-208 or later
723888-205 or later
724299-205 or later
BIOS DATE: 6/22/2000

Intel SR440BX
Micro ATX, nVIDIA TNT 128-bit graphics 16MB and Creative Labs ES1373 SoundBlaster Audio PCI 64V, no AGP slot.
Intel's max CPU support: Katmai 600 MHz, 100 MHz, 512 KB
(there are references that claim to run coppermine CPU's on these boards)
BIOS DATE: April 3, 2000 release P10-0017

A Newspeed.exe Dos tool is said to be able to set the multiplier when using engineering sample CPU's on these boards.

Since I am a lucky owner of an unlocked P-III coppermine, the newspeed option has got me interested in getting one of these intel boards, Unfortunately they are from the first generation of the 440BX mainboards, without colored/PC99 connectors and other fancy features. I read there is no FSB setting whatsoever. So I am still in doubt.

Reply 21 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I'll add that info to the info collection.

I've used a SE440BX before but I don't recall the BIOS settings. The manuals tell you everything though. SR440BX appears to have configurable FSB 66/100 (choose end CPU speed matching your multi).

BTW, RC440BX actually has RIVA 128ZX.

Reply 22 of 107, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used a SE440BX before but I don't recall the BIOS settings. The manuals tell you everything though. SR440BX appears to have configurable FSB 66/100 (choose end CPU speed matching your multi).

Nah, as I understand it detects the status of pin B21 of the CPU card and sets the FSB accordingly to 66 or 100MHz. (overclockers used to tape that pin to get 100MHz) The thing that looks promising though are the BIOS update notes, but these new BIOS options are not described in the manual.
I wonder when an AA number is newer then the ones specified, It is not like I can find a date description in them...

Reply 23 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

gerwin,

yeah i remembered that slot connector tape off trick earlier today... oh well. there's always the slotket. not gonna mess with that tape trick stuff tho 😀

I broke down and bought one of the brand new in box SR440BX mobos on ebay. I'll have to see what can be done with it.

I've been on a bit of a 815 thing the past week and was thinking about 810 too. Intel built these two boards with onboard NV graphics and then decided to create 810 which is basically the same level of performance as TNT. The board was also initially only meant for Celeron and 810 is always AGP-slot-less. Seems strange to create a chipset like that considering they already had similar boards. Except, of course, to eliminate NVIDIA from the picture and make the board 100% Intel.

Reply 25 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They actually use the i752 successor to i740. So it is definitely related but it's quite a bit faster, near TNT performance if you don't push the resolution (it doesn't have much bandwidth to work with).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/whitney,105-6.html

I'm sure that the mobo with the built-in RIVA TNT chip + 16MB RAM is much faster. I'm sure it cost much more to build too.

Reply 26 of 107, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I owned an i815 (ASUS CUSL-2, very durable, after I upgraded my PC my friend got my mobo and uses it until today - 8.5 years!) and it didn't even had enough power to play DVDs fluently with a P3 700 and 384 MB RAM (it was very, very near fluent, but once per few seconds it dropped some frames and for me it was unacceptable).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 27 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's strange. I thought that once you got to about a P2-450 you were good to go with software DVD playback. I can't really remember how a P3 700 would do, but you'd think with that clock speed and SSE that it would be fine....

I remember some friends having those Creative DXR2 decoder cards in their systems back in '98. It was really exciting to see computers playing DVDs!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem wasn't CPU power at all. More likely a Win9x thing or a DVDROM issue. Maybe a video driver quirk. Who knows...

Reply 29 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's interesting is according to the datasheet, 810 and 815 IGPs support hardware DVD acceleration. You'd need a DVD app that can use it though.

Almost makes me want to grab a 810 mobo and see what it can do. Almost....... 😉

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/dat … ts/29065602.pdf

Attachments

• 810.png
    Filename
    810.png
    File size
    44.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 30 of 107, by StormRyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple things:

THANKS!! I was so excited when I found the manual for my Advanced/EV motherboard in this thread. Just stumbled across here accidentally by doing google searches... Intel's website doesn't appear to have these manuals. All I could find on intel's website for my MoBo was the last bios update and the latest sound card driver.

Secondly, I want to alert you that those links to the manuals seem to be in danger of disappearing. When I clicked on the link, I got a warning text box on the Filebam website, which says:

Announcement: […]
Show full quote

Announcement:

As of July 16, 2009, the FileBam free hosting service will be discontinued. We made this decision in order to focus our efforts in other areas.
Please backup your files as needed. Once the service has been shut down the files will be irreversibly removed.

The FileBam Administration

The download still worked for me... for now.

Thanks again.

Reply 32 of 107, by Chipicao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody. I found this forum while google-ing for the intel Thor MB, and I thought I could get some help.

Can anyone tell me what is the actual name of this motherboard, or how can I identify it? I know there usually is a code in the form of Intel AAxxxxxx-xxx but I can't seem to find it.

Also, where can I find a larger image of this motherboard (something over 2 mega pixels, or close to)? Could you please help swaaye?

swaaye wrote:
Advanced/ATX (Thor) http://thumbnails12.imagebam.com/3946/ceb33739458400.gif manual PDF - Socket 7, 430FX, ATX - Optional S3 T […]
Show full quote

Advanced/ATX (Thor)
ceb33739458400.gif
manual PDF
- Socket 7, 430FX, ATX
- Optional S3 Trio64V+ 1MB (up to 2MB) and/or Crystal CS4232 audio
- Seems to be Intel's first ATX mobo.

Reply 33 of 107, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:
I want to know where I can get one of these: […]
Show full quote

I want to know where I can get one of these:

0216-1NN.jpg

with matching CPU card:

0216NN.jpg[/img]

😳 holy heck what is that monstrocity? on another not i hate that proprietary BS but, some times it's part of the fun.

Reply 36 of 107, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chipicao wrote:

Also, where can I find a larger image of this motherboard (something over 2 mega pixels, or close to)? Could you please help swaaye?

I dug around on ebay for most of the photos I posted. You'd probably have to either ask a seller to take a better photo or just buy a mobo. You may get lucky and find one in high resolution though.

For a ebay search I suggest something like:

(dell, gateway, intel) "socket 7"

Reply 37 of 107, by Chipicao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip swaaye, I'll keep a lookout. So far I only found a couple of models that don't have integrated sound, and I'm looking for the full package 😀

I understand the official name is intel Advanced/ATX, but isn't there an AA number as well?

Here's a decent photo taken straight from the intel "museum" at their Hawthorn Farms facility.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Z/X/189213/origi … %20top-down.jpg
I guess the AA number should have been on the white area at the top of the board, but this probably wasn't meant to be sold...

Reply 38 of 107, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's from an Acer server system. I believe it can be found in either Acer Altos 700 or Acer Power 7000.

It is indeed an EISA/VL passive backplane system. single 486, socket 4 Pentium, socket 5 Pentium, and dual pentium CPU cards are available.

If anyone finds one of these systems, let me know.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 39 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spotted an ISA Bus Pentium board on ebay, and thought you guys might be interested in looking at it -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … _fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The seller has 20 available! 😳