VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I'm just about ready to build up my Ultimate Win98 box, but I almost forgot the most important part!

I'm a huge flight/space sim freak and in keeping with the era of parts in my box, I'd like your opinions on what your favorite joysticks of the era were.

I personally had a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital for something like 8 years during that period. Damn thing refused to die, but eventually all the workings inside just gave out.

I've seen them on ebay here and there but figured I'd solicit opinions from the community so...what do you think?

Reply 1 of 4, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft Sidewinder...it's a damn shame they don't make them anymore. I have the gameport version, probably won't work in Vista or Win7 🙁

Is there a decent new joystick available these days other than that Saitek crap?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 4, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the suncom analog edge 2 for quite a few years. Of course that stick was a mutated bastard offspring of what it should be compared to modern sticks. Meanwhile, looking for a picture of the thing, I ran into this little gem.
http://www.joeylatimer.com/pdf/Compute!%20Apr … y%20Latimer.pdf

bless google pdf search.

I've had a great deal of great gaming using the original microsoft sidewinder 3d. The total of 4 axis really turned out to be a life saver in many games. Turning them from impossible to control to close to perfect. A favourite of mine: "outcast" by Appeal springs to mind. Where twisting the stick would actually turn the camera while walking around.

Back in the day I always wanted one of those original gravis joysticks. Might atually buy one if I ever run into one.

Reply 3 of 4, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess good flight controls just aren't in demand. I mean, even Microsoft shut down the division and team that produces Flight Sim. I haven't seen too many decent games come out lately. Maybe the genre is dying out?

Reply 4 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one old but practical Quickshot Joystick, it is an analog gameport joystick with two buttons. Later I chose me a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro, which I am quite happy with. That would be a digital joystick with a gameport interface and an USB adapter.