VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

New here, I found this this forum by complete chance and am happy I did. I like to piddle with older hardware every now and then since the newer stuff just seems to get bland after a while.

Anyway, come to find out, with all of my junk hardware I have laying around I managed to accumulate two 433MHz PPGA Celerons. Well, I've been wanting a sort of retro rig to play older games on (Starcraft, Shogo, Unreal... games mainly from around 97/8 and up.

So far I've got:

Two 433MHz Celerons
Abit BP6
(3) 128MB ECC SDRAM (Just won this on ebay yesterday for $5)
STB Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
ISA 3com 3C509B-TPO Network card
Asus USB card

I'm undecided on a sound card and a hard drive. I've got a Sound Blaster 16 but, it has a funky audio problem where it will play for a second then pause then play again... it continually repeats this with any sound (only tested in Starcraft though, so I need advice on that).

As for the Hard Drive, I doubt the BP6 will pick up my 120GB Maxtor, so I dug out an IBM 60GB Deskstar and a 10GB Western Digital. Of the two, the WD is quieter... which is what I'm looking for, so I may end up using it.

I'm currently deciding on a case to, I'm looking at a mid tower ATX since I don't feel the need for any full ATX stuff.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions. Please, tell me. I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and nice forum to, I feel I may get more help here on this stuff than I would on Hardforum.

:::EDIT::: I now have the BP6, I tested it with both CPUs and a spare stick of RAM and it worked beautifully. Plus, all the caps seem to be in great shape.

Last edited by Private_Ops on 2009-06-28, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding your SB16 problem, I think that's some kind of resource issue. I noticed that the other day myself, when I was testing Duke Nukem 3D. The game would pause for about half a second every 5 - 10 seconds. I altered the card's address to 300H (from 330H), and I also attempted to disable its onboard CD-ROM controller. As I did both at the same time, I wasn't sure which action fixed the problem, but it was OK after that. Try messing about with the card's resources, and see if that fixes the problem. You could try and alter its address, see if there's any unused CD-ROM controller you can disable, also look at any other unwanted resources the card has got enabled, and set them to disabled. What CT model number is it?

Reply 4 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like it's for a Panasonic CD-ROM drive. Check this page out -

http://artofhacking.com/th99/i/C-D/53590.htm

As for disabling the CD-ROM drive controller, I don't know how to do this because there doesn't appear to be an onboard jumper available to do this. Therefore, maybe there is a utility that you need to run (from the original installation software for instance), which will allow you to disable this type of resource?

There are quite a few knowledgeable Soundblaster people on this forum - hopefully someone knows more about this...

Reply 5 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry I can't offer any insights on the sound card, but I'll comment on some of the other points.

That board should handle a 120GB hard drive just fine. It's only when you get above 128GB that things get dodgy.

What OS(es) are you planning to run? I assume you know that Win9x won't support dual processors, but some older games don't like an NT-based OS, so I'm curious what you're planning to do with that.

Also, why an ISA network card? I mean, they work OK, but I wouldn't choose one over a newer PCI card unless I was absolutely out of free PCI slots.

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With XP at least, on my Abit BF6 that has the 137gig limit, I can see the full drive size of larger drives. The drivers must bypass BIOS limitations.

I have a feeling that 2K may not do that, but I'm not sure.

Dont miss out on 'ol BP6.com!

Reply 8 of 9, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, got the board. It's in really good shape, all the capacitors are in good shape. Was missing a BIOS battery... had one though. Haven't tested it yet though, need to order a new PSU and Case from newegg.

Reply 9 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With XP at least, on my Abit BF6 that has the 137gig limit, I can see the full drive size of larger drives. The drivers must bypass BIOS limitations.

Have you tried filling the drives past the 128GB mark, though? Because AFAIK it's not possible for Windows drivers to bypass the BIOS limitations.

I vaguely recall that some boards would appear to recognize larger drives, but once you hit the BIOS limit, they'd start over at the beginning of the drive, and overwrite anything you already had on there. That would, of course, suck rather epically.