Reply 40 of 46, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I remeber getting an i815 mobo to POST with 1x 512 MB. I haven't tried shoving 1 GB to an i815 just to see what happens xD. I have also 1 GB PC133 sticks, but they are EEC Registred which i doubt the i815 supports it

The only i815 system i currently own is a Dell Optiplex GX150 (Sadly the earlier revision without tualatin support)

Update to my 2 year old quote, tried an 1 GB PC133 ECC Reg stick on a Gigabyte GA-6OXT-A, did post, but only recorgnized 512 MB

I've also got a Gigabyte GA-6OXT motherboard, but without the onboard audio, purposely bought it that way so i can use my own sound card, also used up to 512mb, nothing more, and it works great with the P3 1.4ghz tualatin cpu.

Onboard audio can be disabled on BIOS in most motherboards, sometimes jumpers in earlier boards, i got the GA-6OXT-A mainly since it was the cheapest i could get years ago, most other boards were considerably more expensive, especially the ASUS TUSL2 series

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 42 of 46, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS TUSL2-C + PIII S Tualatin 1400 (SL6BY) standing right besides me out of curiosity. Fired up for the first time in a month or two and everything works as it should work. Bios revision = 1012

Reply 43 of 46, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2019-02-23, 15:37:
I have a P3-1ghz. Build with that same Motherboard. But it has problems. The Bios soft CPU menu does not want to retain the sett […]
Show full quote

I have a P3-1ghz. Build with that same Motherboard. But it has problems. The Bios soft CPU menu does not want to retain the setting.
I tried to hard set the CPU setting with the jumpers but then the computer would not boot.
So I am stuck with using the bios soft CPU menu settings.
Works fine it just does not retain the setting so every-time I shutdown the computer it looses it's CPU settings.
I did replace the battery.

Sorry to necro post again, I just found out from the manual that CMOS clear is done by SOLDERING two pads on the board.
If someone did this, even with a brand new battery, you will get volatile settings because of the almost hidden solder blob. You might be able to fix this by cleaning out the blob with solder wick or a vacuum pump.

EDIT:
Manual is here: https://ideafix.name/old/mb/asus/sock370/815e … 817_tusl2-c.pdf. Page 57 explains what to do.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 44 of 46, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zago27 wrote on 2020-01-07, 14:59:

Sorry to necro post again, I just found out from the manual that CMOS clear is done by SOLDERING two pads on the board.

This must be a language thing....
It does not say that the pads have to be soldered - it says that the two solder pads have to be -SHORTED- which means that you have to make contact between them with something that is conductive.

Reply 45 of 46, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2019-02-27, 16:35:

ASUS TUSL2-C + PIII S Tualatin 1400 (SL6BY) standing right besides me out of curiosity. Fired up for the first time in a month or two and everything works as it should work. Bios revision = 1012

I am using the same stepping and same mainboard with the best bios for this board: The 1012 Beta 002 Evil Inside
Runs fine with 152MHz FSB (1596MHz, 1,45V), and with a Crucial 512MB PC133, that also runs fine with 152MHz and CL2/2/2.
The original Asus bios is not the best option, if you want to overclock. All infos are in this article, also with the modbios download links for the CUSL2 and TUSL2 mainboard:

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm

Reply 46 of 46, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-01-07, 15:23:

This must be a language thing....

Yes indeed. I completely missed "short" and "solder points" got my attention.
Non English-speaking people like me might be the issue for that supposed problem.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web