VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has to be the maddest thing I've seen, in my short time messing about with computer equipment. I bought a new HDD, a budget Western Digital Caviar 80GB unit. I used Seagate's "SeaTools for DOS" utility to limit its capacity to about 1.9GB. (I need to spend time with other ways of doing this, but for now that's what I did.) Anyway, the drive seems to work fine. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether I paired it up with a slave DVD-ROM unit when I set this all up, or whether I added in a slave DVD-ROM unit afterwards, but to get to the point - the HDD won't work anymore if I remove the slave optical drive from the ribbon cable! I've tried 2 different cables, even 2 mobos, but the HDD simply won't boot up unless I connect the ribbon cable slave connector to an optical drive. Mad! 😖

Reply 1 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved. I changed the location of the master/slave/cable select jumper on the back of the HDD from master to cable select. Now, the HDD functions correctly, without the requirement to include a slave optical drive on the ribbon cable.

One thing bothers me though - I was going to use this HDD on an ancient 486 mobo. That mobo may not be able to cope with a slave optical unit, and so I will have to leave the HDD jumper on the cable select setting. But will the cable select setting work OK using an old 40-pin ribbon cable?

Reply 3 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't it have another setting? Most have something like "master (slave present)" and "master (no slave)", possibly by removing the jumper altogether.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't you just love playing games with ATA interfaces? With all the quirks you find its one of the reason I like SCSI so much, at least there all you really have to worry about are Device ID's and termination.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 6 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, they didn't have cable select (CS) for old-school ATA/IDE devices. A common array of jumper settings was:
- Master (w/slave on other connector)
- Slave (w/master on other connector)
- Single (no drive on other connector)

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first PC compatible had a 40MB MFM HDD. It was the size of two 5.25" HDDs stacked on top of each other. My dad eventually took it apart long after it was obsolete to show us the inside of a HDD in person.

Reply 9 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WD is AFAIK the only one that used different settings for master w/ slave present and master single. For a long time I thought my hdd was damaged and only worked when slave was present 😁

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza