VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone went through the trouble to set up Windows 2000 or newer on their 486 just to run Cinebench or am I the only human in the world to do so?
I forgot what my results were, but it took about 23 hours for the main render of the motorcycle. CPU score was 13 I think it was.

I remember a more positibe 250-ish score from its GFX test though. That Voodoo2 helps somewhat I guess

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 8, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I thought I was sadistic!

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by sectoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah Windows XP does require Pentium, because it checks the processor type and refuses to run with anything lower, it won't however use pentium specific instructions. So it would work with 100MHz 486 if it wasn't built in a way that it doesn't allow the use of 486 processor. Windows 2000 does work with 486 and it has pretty much has the same kernel as does Windows XP. You can use 486 boards with XP, when you use Pentium overdrive processor 😀 But it require minimum of 64mb memory to run.

Reply 6 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> it won't however use pentium specific instructions.

Not quite:
http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=s … /km/cpu/cx8.htm

They dropped the missing opcode workaround in XP.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 8, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Now you're playing with power.

I remember running goofy 3D landscape generators on my 486...... :) I can almost remember what it was called.....

Vistapro!

That was awesome.

This is not a QEMM error.