VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought it would be interesting to run tests on some CPUs that I haven't seen results for.

I also wanted to throw in a P55C @ 300 MHz but I guess I don't have one that will do that speed anymore. I apparently gave away my only P55C 233 and only have 200s left. Even with a huge overvolt to 3.5v, none of the three 200s I have would do 3x100. 🙁

But anyway here's some interesting stuff.

Test System:

• ASUS P5A mobo
  • 1x Crucial 128MB PC133 @ 2-2-2 (running at 1:1 to stock CPU bus speed)
  • STB Nitro 3D PCI vid card w/ ViRGE DX 4MB EDO
  • Intel Pro 100 PCI
  • WD 160gig
  • SBLive
  • Win98SE and pure Ctrl-F5-on-boot DOS 7.1

I spent some time finding the first Sandra release that has the CPU dropdown boxes. That would be Sandra 2002.

AMD K5 PR200 - 133 MHz real / 66 MHz bus (rather rare)
k5pr200.png
k5pr200cpu.png
yup that's one gimpy FPU!
k5pr200mult.png

IDT/Centaur Winchip 2 @ 240 MHz / 60 MHz bus
winchip2.png
winchipcpu.png
winchipmult.png

AMD K6 233 MHz / 66 MHz bus (original K6)
k6233.png
k6233cpu.png
k6233mult.png

Pentium Pro 200 @ 233 MHz 1MB L2
VS440FX mobo, 128MB EDO, Matrox Millennium II 8MB, PCI NIC
ppro233.png
ppro233cpu.png
ppro233mult.png

Pentium II "Klamath" 233 MHz 512KB L2
Supermicro P6SKE 440FX mobo, RIVA TNT 16MB, 128MB EDO
sppii233.png
sspii233cpu.png
sspii233multnommx.png

AMD K6-2 400 MHz / 100 MHz bus (Chomper Extended 😀)
k62400.png
k62400cpu.png
k62400mult.png

AMD K6-III+ 600 MHz / 100 MHz bus
k63p600.png
(sorry but I didn't test it with Sandra)

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-08-12, 01:32. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

fixed some of the pics. Imageshack isn't very reliable....

One thing I thought was interesting about these results is how the K5 @ 133 actually beats the WinChip2 @ 240 for CPU integer performance in Sandra. K5's architecture (aside from FPU) is quite impressive, but it also caused major problems for clock scaling.. It is one of the fastest x86 CPUs from a performance per-clock perspective (ignoring SIMD).

I've tried overclocking it but it is only able to handle about 15 more MHz. And it doesn't have many multiplier options so it's hard to up the bus speed and keep it stable.

Winchip 2 is also a very poor overclocker and only has whole number multipliers.

Reply 3 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought about doing a Quake timedemo but I decided not to because when you bring the video card into the equation for DOS tests it becomes tricky to get results that aren't skewed by video performance.

Also, Quake was basically written entirely around the Pentium architecture so I really wonder if results for it are valid for anything other than Quake itself. Although that's not to say that Quake results wouldn't be interesting, but I think we can predict how that will go just by remembering the olden days of people bitching about how badly their K5/K6/6x86/486 ran the game compared to Pentium/PPro. 😀

Reply 4 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting and true i bet a lot of benchmarks and reviews on hardware these days are a bit skewed because of the gfx cars but, they always do say what they setup is that was used for such benchmarks. it seems to me the mmx233 and the pro 200 have a strong point and one the alu and the other the fpu i don't know what either of those are but, i can tell one be better an one task than the other?

Reply 5 of 19, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice thread, I like it 😀

Which version of SiSoft Sandra are you using?

But no Pentium Pro bench results? 😳 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just set up my ASUS P5A and ran all these different CPUs thru it. Was pretty simple to do. PPro doesn't work very well in Socket 7. 😉

Sandra 2002 is the one I used.

I noticed that I interchanged the Pentium MMX 166 and 233s in the graphs above. I actually meant to keep the reference CPUs identical. I didn't notice that I had gone with 233 for one and 166 for the other.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-07-29, 18:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 19, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I just set up my ASUS P5A and ran all these different CPUs thru it. Was pretty simple to do. PPro doesn't work very well in Socket 7. 😉 Sandra 2002 has results for a PPro 200 anyway.

Sandra 2002 is the one I used.

hehe, well...if you set your mind up it'll work 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also discovered that the AMD K5 has the same write allocate feature as K6 and that the board wasn't enabling it. I found a utility that will enable it in Windows (made by Powerleap). It only gained about 20 points in the CPU arithmetic integer test in Sandra. In DOS, I tried the AMD enwa.exe util which said it recognized and enabled the WA feature, but the speedsys results didn't change at all. Curious.

Reply 9 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Added Pentium Pro results to first post.

An interesting thing I noticed was that this CPU really drops its power usage with HLT active. I had my Killawatt power meter hooked up and saw system power usage go from 80W booting to ~35W in Windows!

Also, I doubt these tests really show you what that huge L2 cache does for this CPU. Most synthetic tests aren't going to be designed to show the benefits of a cache this big. It certainly doesn't seem to be hurting performance though. I was curious about that because I've been wondering if the cache latency might be worse with this compared to the other PPros.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-07-30, 18:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am very disappointed in all of you.

I was hoping all of this testing nonsense would bring about an amazing roundtable discussion of mid-90s CPUs!!!!!! What happened huh? .... Oh I know... I missed the Cyrix tests that would be the catalyst for a flame war. Sorry Cyrix sux too much for anything besides what they designed their CPUs for (MS Office). And lets not forget the occasional incompatibilities that 6x86 had. 😉

Stop just stop. You guys can't tempt me into buying a Cyrix MII. It's a lost cause. Seriously.

Hey wait, I have a Cyrix 5x86. Too bad it's got nothing on either the Am5x86 @ 160 or a PODP @ 100. Oh wellz. Maybe if they hadn't released it partially broken with some of the fancy features disabled (cuz they were borked). 😵

(awaits argument)

Reply 12 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I almost bought a 6x86 when they first came out. I'm pretty glad I didn't. I guess at that time the lousy FPU wouldn't have been such a big deal, but I seem to recall they had serious heat problems (corrected with the 6x86L), and used non standard FSBs that ran the PCI bus way out of spec. Using the 75 and 83MHz FSB was a pretty sleazy method of increasing performance (at the cost of stability). I thought the 6x86 logo was pretty neat though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 19, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
I am very disappointed in all of you. {snip!} […]
Show full quote

I am very disappointed in all of you. {snip!}

Stop just stop. You guys can't tempt me into buying a Cyrix MII. It's a lost cause. Seriously.

Hey wait, I have a Cyrix 5x86. Too bad it's got nothing on either the Am5x86 @ 160 or a PODP @ 100. Oh wellz. Maybe if they hadn't released it partially broken with some of the fancy features disabled (cuz they were borked). 😵

(awaits argument)

Actually, I'll GIVE you an MII if it will be used for something! I once bid on a mix of various Socket 7 processors that no one else seemed to want, and got the lot for very little, including the MII.

Amazingly enough, compared to far worse luck thereafter on others for that socket, none of those in that batch had bent pins!

Kiwi

Reply 14 of 19, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought I'd throw four more (either rare or laughable) in since swaaye decided to lay down the Gauntlet. 😉

The Socket-3's were benchmarked in a FIC-PIO-3 motherboard. The two Socket-7's were benchmarked in a FIC PA-2013 motherboard.

I've thrown in a:
Cyrix 5x86-120 (40MHz x 3) (Write-back enabled)
AMD-X5 (P75) 5x86-133 (33MHz * 4) (Write-back enabled)
IBM 6x86 PR-166+ 133MHz (66MHz * 2)
Cyrix MII-300GP 233MHz (66MHz * 3.5)

On the Socket-3 side: The Cyrix 5x86 edges out the AMD-X5. But it's clear an X5 at 160 would best the Cyrix. The Cyrix 5x86 isn't very overclockable and I doubt would catch up to the AMD-X5. That said, stock vs. stock, the Cyrix is the winner.

On the Socket-7 side: Both of the Cyrix designed CPU's are pretty uninteresting and their results speak for themselves. I had a heck of a time getting the MII-300 to not lock up in speedsys. It finally completed a full test after disabling the Cyrix CPUID feature in the bios. Unfortunately, disabling the CPUID made speedsys not realize the MII had MMX registers. So the MII graphs don't show any MMX memory benchmarks. 😠 Damn buggy cyrix's. Anyway, enjoy.

Attachments

• MII-300.jpg
    Filename
    MII-300.jpg
    File size
    55.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IBM6-166.jpg
    Filename
    IBM6-166.jpg
    File size
    56 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • X5-133.jpg
    Filename
    X5-133.jpg
    File size
    53.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5X86-120.jpg
    Filename
    5X86-120.jpg
    File size
    53.43 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 15 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. The Winchip 240 is beating out that MII 300. That's embarassing. 😀 It's been said around the web that the Cyrix 6x86 may have simply been designed to win the popular benchmarks of the time. Apparently its FPU is even worse than the K5's.

As for the Cx5x86, I've too found that it will outperform a AMD 5x86 @ 133. Its FPU is actually rather significantly better according to Sandra. But when you put the AMD chip at 160 then the AMD chip gets the advantage in integer performance. Cyrix still has a small lead for FPU though (PODP FPU is better though). And yeah the Cyrix 120 wouldn't overclock at all for me.

Also, some of the Cyrix 5x86 chips can have extra features enabled too. There are DOS utilities out there to do this. The problem is that most of the CPUs released are bugged with regards to their fancy branch prediction and will crash Windows. They disabled the features partly cuz of hardware bugs and partly because BIOS support was needed for them. It might be worth the time to check those out if you haven't. You can eek a little more from the CPU, depending on what works.

Oh btw, you should try out the PNG image format. For screenshots like these it'll compress much better than JPG and it's lossless. I noticed that the colors are washed out in the JPGs.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-08-02, 17:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 17 of 19, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

some of the Cyrix 5x86 chips can have extra features enabled too. There are DOS utilities out there to do this. ... You can eek a little more from the CPU, depending on what works.

Yeah, I have played with the performance registers on the Cyrix 5x86. In the end, I allowed the BIOS defaults to stand for the benchmarks. When I enabled branch prediction, it gained just a single point on the CPU scale, so I didn't bother with it. It wouldn't have been that relevant for speedsys anyway.

Reply 18 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Added Pentium II "Klamath" 233 MHz.

I accidentally saved the wrong Sandra Multimedia test so I only have the non-MMX result here. That's kinda ok though because it's a better comparison to the PPro 233 this way.

Reply 19 of 19, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swaaye, I noticed in your O.P. that you wanted to throw in a P55C @ 300 MHz for your tests, but no longer had a suitable one (eg 233). I have just tested a 233 OC'd to 300, and DL'd Sandra 2002, and performed the CPU and Multimedia tests on it. Now, please bear with me because I wanted to do this fairly quickly, and my "internet PC" hasn't got a working floppy drive ATM, so I couldn't get the screenies uploaded. So I simply wrote them down instead, and here they are -

Speedsys overall score = 227.31 (Very similar to 5u3's score of 225.13)
Speedsys memory scores (the first 3 listed) = 553.95, 278.13, 192.00 (Almost identical to 5u3's scores)

Sandra CPU score = 638, 343 (These values seem quite good)
Sandra Multimedia score = 906, 238 (Yowsers! If you want Integer ALU stuff done quickly, look no further!)

(5u3's speedsys pic can be seen in this thread here)