VOGONS

First post, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few years ago, getting ready to assemble a PC for one of my sons, the technophobic one, and even though I would have preferred building an AMD based system, since Intel's P4s were just so far behind the K7s and K8s, considering that anti-tech attitude, I figured "Intel" and "Pentium" would sound more familiar because of the advertising.

I ended up with an MSI-6541 (OEM version of the 6507-L), with the 845 chipset that I was careless about reading the entire auction description, and not suspicious enough about the lack of bids. I put in the minimum, which wasn't at all expensive, and won the auction with no other bidders. THEN I read everything. The seller had written that the board had a "bad Q86", and it was an AS-IS sale, of course.

I accepted my error, paid the man, and never opened it when it came.

It showed up recently when I was cleaning a corner of the spare bedroom and I wondered what the heck is a Q86? I couldn't find mention of it with Google.

Ideas from any of you?

Last edited by Kiwi on 2009-08-02, 03:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Kiwi

Reply 2 of 6, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Bad transistor on the motherboard mabye?

If so, I would need a far larger scale diagram of the board than the usual, with tons more identification data on it! Whatever it was the seller referred to, it's not an obvious visible fault, like the leaking caps on a couple of ePoX MBs I owned!

Kiwi

Reply 4 of 6, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MSI's site is operated out of Taiwan, and is having problems. There is supposed to be a User Forum, but it won't accept a Log on, so I wasted my time there.

Kiwi

Reply 6 of 6, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! My Googling failed me -- never led back to Badcaps.

There's a close-up photo in that thread, and upon putting on close-range glasses (I hate my bifocals and seldom wear them), I can see the exact same component with the exact same damage (black bubble on top, in the exact same place) on my 6541.

Now, the next question is whether I should invest the labor in re-learning my soldering / desoldering techniques for this particular MB? It is limited to the 400 MHz (FSB) P4s, strictly, which pretty well eliminates the majority of >2 GHz processors.

Kiwi