VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yet to arrive, but the seller has mentioned that he warranted it to,....uh....post...

Well, at least it posts! 😁

Anyway, the sale is 29.95 USD. Excluding shipping. Now I just have to pray that I can play Wing Commander IV in it! Planning to experiment it with my DX-33, DX2-66 and DX4-100 (all intel) cpus.

Maybe I paid too much?

PVI-486SP3Combo_01.jpg

Edit : (To MODs : I think I might have posted this in the wrong thread? Please move it if inappropriate here. Thanks!)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm...😜...yummy old hardware...bargain! 😁

What's the CT model number on the SoundBlaster? And the RAM capacity in the board? Also, what's the CPU?

From my fairly limited experiments with 486 boards, if it POSTs OK, chances are you'll be good to go with it, and have no major problems. 😀 Good luck with it.

Reply 2 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Hmmm...😜...yummy old hardware...bargain! 😁

What's the CT model number on the SoundBlaster? And the RAM capacity in the board? Also, what's the CPU?

From my fairly limited experiments with 486 boards, if it POSTs OK, chances are you'll be good to go with it, and have no major problems. 😀 Good luck with it.

Here's what he wrote :

(1) Motherboard CPU RAM Combo w/ AMD 486 DX2 80MHZ & 32Mb RAM (Tested)
(1) Creative CT2950 Sound Card (Untested)
(1) Floppy Cable (Untested)
(2) 40 Pin IDE Cables (Untested)
(1) Parallel, Mouse, RS-232 I/O Connector Set (Untested)
(1) ATI Rage Pro PCI Video Card (2MB We Think) (Tested)
(1) Fan/heatsink (Tested)
[<---- Thanks for letting me know that this is working 😁]

Reply 3 of 8, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Maybe I paid too much?

Nah. That motherboard is a gem. I'd pay that for the motherboard alone. Plus, you got some essentials to get you up and working without needing to go find those parts.

I think you scored.

Reply 4 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That motherboard is a gem. I'd pay that for the motherboard alone.

Just out of curiosity, what's so special about it? Because generally speaking, I have the exact opposite inclination: you couldn't pay me that much to take a PCI/VLB motherboard.

Reply 5 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What rev is it?

If it has one of the latest chipset versions I think it's not a bad price since it's the last socket 3 mobo Asus made and imho the best PCI/ISA socket 3 motherboard.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 8, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

If it has one of the latest chipset versions I think it's not a bad price since it's the last socket 3 mobo Asus made and imho the best PCI/ISA socket 3 motherboard.

Agreed. It's a great board. When your goal is to build a stable platform for Socket-3 gaming, you want a board that is reliable, trouble-free, and feature packed. The PVI-486SP3 has that in spades. You don't want to be fiddling with Multi-I/O cards or trying to figure out if your BIOS supports Type40 configurable drive geometry when building your retro rig. Don't have an ISA video card laying around, but you do have a VLB or PCI card? No problem.

Asus is a quality brand, and they didn't start just recently. It shows in this board. This board is stable and supports just about every Socket-3 proc you can get your hands on. It has high-end features integrated unlike most socket-3 boards. To top it off, the slot layout is perfect. You can put a full-length card in each slot. Try doing that with most other boards, like FIC's best 486 board, the PIO-3.

Reply 7 of 8, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i know a place filled with this style of mobo and parts man i should get hold of it and sell it or help the owner sell it, so guys like you can have a field day.

Reply 8 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:

Nah. That motherboard is a gem. I'd pay that for the motherboard alone. Plus, you got some essentials to get you up and working without needing to go find those parts.

I think you scored.

Thanks. True, since the cables and connectors are also included. Plus, I get the extra cpu too. I just hope the board works, doesn't matter about the SB card or the graphics card. I won't be using this ATI card and I can always pop in my trusty ol' AWE32. 😀

Amigaz wrote:

What rev is it?

Believe it or not, the seller didn't mention it. He didn't even mention the board's name. I bought it as soon as I saw the printed model name on the board.
So far I can identify the "1." number below the SP3 print and the next decimal number is curved a bit and does not look like 1, so I guess it maybe a 1.3 or 1.8 or something.

I have the VLB version of Hercules Tseng Labs ET4000/w32p. And maybe I'll pop in once in a while one of my ViRGE cards (have the vanilla 325,375 and 4MB VX) to play those obscure Virge supported games.

And I think the Voodoo 2 SLI won't be as fast as in a Pentium based system.(?)