VOGONS

voodoo3

Topic actions

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whats it worth and why should i not just toss it? itworks great and just it's weak and i have better stuff or can get better stuff for 20 bucks. i was thinking the vd3 is around 30 bucks?

Reply 1 of 15, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Take a look at what this old Creative Video card is listed for at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-CT-6330-Gra … n%3D4%26ps%3D33

Right. It's merely a Creative Labs CT-6330 Graphics Blaster PCI Video Card. although someone thinks it's made from 14k gold or something.

Price: US $144.57

Whoops!

Kiwi

Reply 2 of 15, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kiwi wrote:
Take a look at what this old Creative Video card is listed for at eBay: […]
Show full quote

Take a look at what this old Creative Video card is listed for at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-CT-6330-Gra … n%3D4%26ps%3D33

Right. It's merely a Creative Labs CT-6330 Graphics Blaster PCI Video Card. although someone thinks it's made from 14k gold or something.

Price: US $144.57

Whoops!

Geeze, I think I have something like that laying around in the garage. I don't think it's worth that much.

OH MY GOSH GUYS I COULD GET RICH[/sarcasm]

Reply 3 of 15, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

eBay is full of eWaste recycling business that sell a bunch of salvaged retro gear. The problem is they assume that because it's old and rare, that it must command a high price. The reality is that only select old hardware really holds much value, and even then only to people like us.

It's always the "Buy It Now" bulk sellers that have ridiculous prices for everything.

In Dallas we're spoiled, we have a shop called Electronic Discount Sales. You can walk in there, find an old Voodoo card, Tualatin board, old software (still shrink wrapped), just about anything you need and pay just a few bucks for every item. It's like my personal Disneyland. 😁

Reply 4 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i saw a dell r450 wich i still have one and did have 2 going for like over 100 bucks i was thinking good luck selling that. well if any of you guys want it, give me fair offer for it since i know you i can use it and would like a good deal i should be able to find something to ship it in.

Reply 5 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There used to be little computer sales stores around here with cheap old stuff lying around but my favs have gone out of business because people shop mostly at the big chain stores. I picked up quite a bit of classic stuff at those places.

I suppose all I did was buy $5 '90s parts myself though. Wasn't exactly the customer they needed. 😉 I'm also rather "saturated" with old junk hardware now....

Reply 7 of 15, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

whats it worth and why should i not just toss it? itworks great and just it's weak and i have better stuff or can get better stuff for 20 bucks. i was thinking the vd3 is around 30 bucks?

Unfortunately no, not even 30 $. V3 is the most popular and common of all the other voodoos and they can be found on literally every corner of the internet (and electronic waste stores). V3 AGP can be sold for 5-15$ tops; if you have a rare example, or PCI, in original package, sealed or something, then the price can go up to 30-35$ but not a penny more.

If you have V5 6000 however... Thats another story. Even 1000 EUR is a often found as a price for a working unit. But not V3 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Unfortunately no, not even 30 $. V3 is the most popular and common of all the other voodoos and they can be found on literally every corner of the internet (and electronic waste stores). V3 AGP can be sold for 5-15$ tops; if you have a rare example, or PCI, in original package, sealed or something, then the price can go up to 30-35$ but not a penny more.

If you have V5 6000 however... Thats another story. Even 1000 EUR is a often found as a price for a working unit. But not V3 😀

I also find that the V3 is probably the least desirable 3DFX card.... alongside the Voodoo Banshee (The Banshee has superb Dos performance/compatibility 😀 )

I would just get 2 Voodoo 2 cards in SLI and then use a decent 2D card alsongside them instead of spending money on a Voodoo 3... but thats just my opinion 😁

Reply 10 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

well i don't really care for older cards like that my radeon 7500 does a great job with 98se.

But i also like 100% Glide compatibility 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please don't tell me you have never heard of Glide?? It is a proprietary 3D graphics API developed by 3DFX for use with all 3DFX based graphics cards. 3DFX and Glide were the biggest things in the mid/late 90's 😀

The original 3DFX voodoo boards were revolutioonary at the time for PC's and were what most people would call the first "real" 3D accelerator's 😎

Just about nearly all 3D games developed around 1995 - 1999 had full support for 3DFX Glide. Games such as Quake 1+2 and Half-Life etc. were best run using 3DFX miniGL drivers over standard OpenGL or D3D. Do a bit of research on the 3DFX Voodoo cards and you will find they were not just your standard everyday D3D card 😀

EDIT: Damn ..... Amigaz beat me to it 🤣

Reply 14 of 15, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You still get an A for effort... if he is too lazy to search himself it's not likey he'll follow a link either.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold