VOGONS

First post, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been digging through my old hardware box, and I dug up these.

So here's what I've got:

REALmagic SIGMA DESIGNS EM 7210
img0480h.th.jpg
This one is actually geared more towards being a video card-however it also has a speaker plug. Anyone knows how good it is in both the audio/video department?

Creative Labs CT4810
img0484y.th.jpg

Creative Labs Monster Sound (with S/PDIF attachment)
img0489j.th.jpg
img0490tvw.th.jpg
These being Creative Labs, I have no doubts, but I would still like to know what makes them different than each other and what makes them better than the other.

Anyone knows how good these are? I also have a SoundBlaster Live! in my retro PC now, but I want to know if any of these are worthy contenders or not.

Reply 1 of 2, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that first one is actually a video card.

The second is a Sound Blaster PCI 128 (OEM version I think). Definitely no better than a Live!

The third is actually a Diamond Monster Sound using an Aureal chipset, not a creative card.

The fourth is also from Diamond (obvious from the silk screening), but I can't tell for certain what it is. It almost looks like a proprietary CD-ROM interface with a CD-Audio out or something.

All the same, none of this is really cause to write home about. Stick with your Live!

Reply 2 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Real Magic card is probably a hardware MPEG1 decoder card. Might be MPEG2. Can't tell without more info.

The Diamond Monster Sound card is the well-known MX300 with Aureal Vortex 2.