VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This seems too be a commonplace occurence with ASUS mobos.

I received this message when I flashed the PVI-486SP3 (v 1.21) yesterday, the motherboard combo which I just received and recently posted about in another thread.

It came with bios 202 and I flashed it to 306 (using SI4I0306). The pflash.exe refused to acknowledge the type of Flash.
I then used uniflash.exe to update the bios. The flash BIOS is an intel one, and I chose the corresponding 12v jumper before flashing.

Using i486DX2-66.

Everything runs fine and the bios recognized the Maxtor 80GB HDD and another Fujitsu 5.2GB without problems.

Just that the too-common-asus error message Can't write ESCD crops up everytime the machine boots.

Have there been any solution to this problem, other than changing the BIOS chip?

I guess I have to hot-flash another chip I have for this mobo.

Thanks!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey retro, I just saw your thread regarding this problem. So, have you found the confirmed solution? Did the 5v flashing work? I thought you can't flash a bios if it's of a different type which requires the specific volt or eprom setting?

In my case, I removed the Award bios sticker on the BIOS chip and I saw the word FLASH and the intel and it's numbers printed directly on the chip. Only then I changed to the 12v setting. Winbond and SST chips require 5v, I think.

Reply 4 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That thread says I changed the jumper setting from eprom to 12v. Also, please note that I didn't flash the BIOS. I just powered on the mobo, and noticed that ESCD error message.

If your flash update was successful, you could now try a different bios jumper setting. Alternatively, you could try using uniflash to clear the CMOS content.

Good luck! 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A different volt setting wouldn't work since the flasher utility can't identify the chip at non-specific jumper setting.

I've tried erasing the BIOS completely, flashing with a previous version, than upgrading to the latest version. Still no go.

At least, other than the error message at boot up below the POST summary, everything else works fine.
I'll try installing Windows 95 and see. I have seen some sites where there are complaints of Windows 95 problems with this error message.

I guess I just have to wait till I get another 128K Bios chip and hot-flash and see.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    Filename
    DSC00001.JPG
    File size
    397.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please note that all of my previous messages about this ESCD problem were not related to flashing the BIOS. I got an Asus 486 board from ebay, and simply powered it on. I then saw the ESCD error message on the screen. To avoid seeing this error message, the solution that I found was to simply alter the BIOS jumpers on the mobo. At no point did I flash the BIOS.

Have you tried altering your BIOS jumpers on the mobo - don't worry about flashing it, or reflashing it - just see if that action offers any clues about this problem.