VOGONS

First post, by justkevin7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I've been working on building a do-it-all retro gaming PC and it's proved to be more difficult than I thought. I think I finally have my sound issues worked out, my next challenge is 3Dfx/glide games. I am basing this system off of a Pentium 3 800, using DOSbox for older titles, and running "newer" titles nativly in Windows 98. (though I am tempted to use Athlon XP 1600 instead) I am hoping to get a couple Voodoo2 cards (SLI) in the system and working with the old dos games and windows games.

Anyone know if DOSbox emulates glide at all? It would be nice not to have to use the 3dfx cards but the last time I tried emulation it was flakey and buggy in many games.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts for getting old DOS & Windows 3Dfx/glide games working? Are there a good set of updated drivers out there that I can use? I think the last set I have came as a pack-in with the cards. 🙁

Reply 2 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah Gulikoza's build has Glide support. It works ok. I've run Carmageddon and Tomb Raider though it. You'll never get it going fast enough on anything slower than a fast Athlon 64, however. This is because not only are you emulating the games which are late-DOS and needed fast hardware, but also translating Glide to OpenGL.

Reply 5 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Be careful with 3dfx Voodoo2 cards and Athlons. They've been an unstable combination whenever I tried them.

This is new to me. As the matter affect, I've been exclusively using AMD + 3dfx since 1998 and never had any problems with them. One of the best V2 SLI rigs I've used was on Abit NF7-S + Barton-M @2.6Ghz.

I guess experiences are varying.