VOGONS

First post, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just landed one of these off the bay. I think it will be pretty cool to have, adding to my collection if anything as a "technology demonstration". A long time ago I used a ATi Rage Magnum with a K6, I knew it was lagging from NVIDIA but it was still capable and affordable.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think so too ^^. But I also remember that it kinda sucked at it. Definitly a nice card to have in a collection though 😀 One of the first dual-GPU solutions in market.

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It uses alternate frame rendering, very similar to their current stuff. One problem with Rage Fury MAXX is that it has crap drivers. This era was definitely before ATI got their driver development up to a reasonable quality level.

The other serious problem with the card is that NT5 (2k,XP) doesn't support 2 AGP devices so you can only use half of the card unless you're on Win9x/Me. It becomes the same as a regular Rage Fury.

Here's an old ATI support email:

Dear Customer, […]
Show full quote

Dear Customer,

You have previously contacted our Microsoft Windows 2000 feedback email address to comment or inquire about RAGE FURY MAXX drivers and support for the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system.

I regret to inform you that our plan to provide a RAGE FURY MAXX driver for the Windows 2000 operating system cannot be completed. Due to issues with enumerating the chip ID's, of the dual RAGE 128 PRO graphics chips, we are unable to complete the driver for our RAGE FURY MAXX card.

ATI sincerely apologizes for promising a driver to you and then being unable to complete it. This was an unforeseen technical issue during the development of the Windows 2000 RAGE FURY MAXX drivers.

For those customers who wish to contact me directly to comment on this situation, please email me at cservice@ati.com. I welcome your comments and feedback

I'd love to see a nice high-res photo or scan of your card!

Reply 4 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another issue was texture corruption and lines on the screen with some games.... not sure if this was to do with the drivers or the "alternate frame rendering"?? I used to have this card for a couple of months but then got a Matrox G400 Max instead which i found to be much better 😎