VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to share my recent experience with this neat little utility.

I have a personal favourite Socket 5 motherboard with SiS 5501/02/03 based chipsets on which my trusty Pentium 133 runs. (Personal favourite - not because of any special features but because of nostalgic purposes - my first Pentium motherboard with good memories of running some of my most favourite games on it.)

I've been baffled and put-off with the Bios' Boot Select option since this is a relatively unknown motherboard with an older Award Modular Bios v4.50. The only boot options I have are A,C & C,A.

Though I have the Original manual which came with the system, other than the name VE-501 Pentium Motherboard, I had no idea who the maker was. After searching in the net using the bios codes posted at the POST screen, I came to know that it's made by Unico. Though the POST screen shows that the bios is modular, the mobo does not have any flash bios chip on it.

Then came this Smart Boot Manager to the rescue.

A very useful utility I've got this year!

sbmmain.jpg

Once installed, the Smart Boot Manager takes over right after the bios post screen. The main screen is as seen above. One can even set the default boot option with a timer setting, just like the multiconfig blocks in the config.sys of Ms-Dos 6.

There are other options too like naming the boot options, set active and hiding partitions and so on. I'll let the pictures do the talking 😁 :

sbmmenu.jpg

sbmrecs.jpg

sbmsyset.jpg

I have uploaded the file here.

Mini usage guide:

After extracting, you'll get two files - sbminst.exe and cwsdpmi.exe, which is a support file. The main is sbminst.exe.
Typing sbminst without parameters will bring up the help.
The help screen is quite self-explanatory.

In short, to install to a floppy disk, make a bootable floppy (format /s option). Then type sbminst -d 0 (zero). 0 is the first physical drive, so for Drive B, it will be sbminst -d 1.
Floppy A is 0, Floppy B is 1,...etc.

Installing to a floppy disk will void other read/write functions on this disk. You'll get a general failure error when accessing this disk.
You can only use it as a Smart Boot Manager disk.

You can also install this to the hard drive.The first hard drive starts from 128. To install to the first HD, enter sbminst -d 128.
The screens above are from my hard drive boot. After bios, it reads the Smart Boot Manager information written on the MBR of the hard drive, before allowing the OS to take over. By this method you can select any installed drive, including the cd drive.

Caution: This program writes to the Master Boot Record (MBR). Any wrong inputs or errors without using the backup option can be dangerous to yer health! No, seriously! 😁

Credits:

Thanks goes to dvwjr. I came to know about this program first through his post.

(Thanks, dvwjr!!!)

Attachments

Last edited by Malik on 2009-08-30, 06:30. Edited 2 times in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using this to boot CDs on 486s for years. Definitely a useful little app. I just have it on a floppy though, never messed with its other capabilities.

Reply 2 of 9, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might wish to take a look at this post SmartBootManager vs PLoP v5.x to see a better boot manager replacement that was found by DosFreak... The PLoP v5.x boot manager will also boot from USB devices and works where SmartBootManger fails.

dvwjr

Reply 3 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dvwjr wrote:

You might wish to take a look at this post SmartBootManager vs PLoP v5.x to see a better boot manager replacement that was found by DosFreak... The PLoP v5.x boot manager will also boot from USB devices and works where SmartBootManger fails.dvwjr

Thanks, DosFreak & dvwjr! Trying out the PLop now..

EDIT:

---PLoP project put on hold--- (SBM working well in my setup. See below.)
SBM can't boot into USB but I'm not using USB for any DOS programs, for now at least. Maybe I'll try that PLoP later again.

Last edited by Malik on 2009-08-30, 06:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update:

Used this Smart Boot Manager (v3.7.1) successfully to boot the latest Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP3 cd.

Booted Windows 98SE CD.

No additional CD port data was entered.

My system specs :

Unico VE-501 Pentium Motherboard. (Socket 5, SiS 5501/02/03 Chipset)
Pentium 133MHz CPU (Fanless Tall Blue Heatsink with printed "Pentium 133")
128MB EDO RAM 32MB 72-pin SIMMSx4 all 60ns
Sound Blaster AWE32 with 32MB (28MB addressed) RAM, A220 I5 D1 H5 MIDI Port 300h Wavetable at 620h
Roland LAPC-I MIDI 330-331h
S3 ViRGE VX 4MB VRAM
2x Voodoo2 (SLI)
Creative 4x CD-ROM
Fujitsu 5.2GB HDD
Maxtor 80GB HDD
5.25" 1.2MB FDD
3.5" 1.44MB FDD

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some very good info here, thanks!
I wonder what other hidden gems are there for our old pc's...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So does this nice Bootmanager also features a re detection of the HDD and a Int13 Handler replacement? (for large HDD, if bios can handle only 504 MB)

Would be a useful (kickass) combination.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

So does this nice Bootmanager also features a re detection of the HDD and a Int13 Handler replacement? (for large HDD, if bios can handle only 504 MB)

I guess you just have to try it. It works with my Maxtor 80GB HDD. My bios setting is set to User Mode and LBA. (my bios can't identify the generic 16,383 cylinders setting for large hard drives.)

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

You mean like those drive overlay utilities provided by some HDD manufacturers to make large HDDs work on old machines?

I see a "toggle extended Int 13H" option in one of Malik's screenshots, so that may be what you're referring to.

Reply 9 of 9, by charlote22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a latest version of HDD manufacturers because I am working on final project. Some documents only open in latest version. Kindly send me the exact link of latest version.
Thanks in advance!

70-663|1z0-050|JN0-304