VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tried both Monkey Island 1 and 2 with a variety of ISA sound cards and cannot tell the difference between using Adlib or Sound Blaster mode for either of these games?? It only sounds different when i choose Roland sound.

Are the Adlib and Sound Blaster modes supposed to sound different in Monkey Island 1 + 2??

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think not. FM synthesis should same more or less the same way. I don't know whether Monkey Island can do FM stereo. I doubt it.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I think not. FM synthesis should same more or less the same way. I don't know whether Monkey Island can do FM stereo. I doubt it.

It probably just runs in 8-bit and both Adlib and Sound Blaster modes provide digital sound effects and FM midi (the midi is better on the Amiga version 😁 )

I just thought maybe the music would sound a bit better choosing Sound Blaster instead of Adlib for these games.... but they are identical!

Reply 3 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It probably just runs in 8-bit and both Adlib and Sound Blaster modes provide digital sound effects and FM midi (the midi is better on the Amiga version 😁 )

I just thought maybe the music would sound a bit better choosing Sound Blaster instead of Adlib for these games.... but they are identical!

The only stereo options for SoMI are Game Blaster and Roland MT-32 (with patch). The Adlib and Sound Blaster (non-Pro/16 etc.) have identical FM capabilities. The advantage you will see in most games is in sound effects or voice capabilities on a Sound Blaster. I am not sure whether the Amiga Music will sound as good as Roland MT-32.

Reply 4 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

I am not sure whether the Amiga Music will sound as good as Roland MT-32.

I've listened to Amiga's version of SOMI intro. Comes nowhere close to the MT-32.

Great Hierophant wrote:

The only stereo options for SoMI are Game Blaster and Roland MT-32 (with patch).

Hey, Amigaz! You're the only person on earth I know for sure who has a Game Blaster! 😁 . If you have SOMI, perhaps you can tell us your experiences of the "stereo" part, using the Game Blaster. Thanks! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I've listened to Amiga's version of SOMI intro. Comes nowhere close to the MT-32.

If you have a Roland compatible sound card then it will sound much better on the PC 😀 But the Amiga version sounds much better than the PC running Adlib/Sound Blaster audio.... pretty much most PC/Amiga games from the late 80's to the early 90's had better audio on the Amiga 😎

Reply 6 of 7, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
I've listened to Amiga's version of SOMI intro. Comes nowhere close to the MT-32. […]
Show full quote
Great Hierophant wrote:

I am not sure whether the Amiga Music will sound as good as Roland MT-32.

Great Hierophant wrote:

The only stereo options for SoMI are Game Blaster and Roland MT-32 (with patch).

Hey, Amigaz! You're the only person on earth I know for sure who has a Game Blaster! 😁 . If you have SOMI, perhaps you can tell us your experiences of the "stereo" part, using the Game Blaster. Thanks! 😀

I'll look into this in the next few days 😀
I've have to reinstate the 386 PC I have to card in to test this...currently a Pentium 4 project is occupying the retro pc corner I have here...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 7, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Malik wrote:

If you have a Roland compatible sound card then it will sound much better on the PC 😀 But the Amiga version sounds much better than the PC running Adlib/Sound Blaster audio.... pretty much most PC/Amiga games from the late 80's to the early 90's had better audio on the Amiga 😎

Amen to that 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327