VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am thinking about getting myself an old small Shuttle or similar style PC for ruinning homebrew and emulation through my TV and cannot seem to find any that have driver support for Win 98se! All the ones i fnd are either for Win XP or Vista (and maybe Linux). One of these would be ideal for me as it is small and would fit neatly inside my TV cabinet just like a games console 😎

Does anybody know of any old "cube" style PC's that will work fine with Win 98se? It needs to be at least a 650mhz PIII or better.... i Have seen a few cheap systems with Pentium 4's, Celerons and Athlon XP's/64 etc. but they seem to be geared for Win XP only 😒

EDIT: the only other thing i can think of is to get an old Dell SFF PC?

Reply 1 of 10, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mATX 845 based P4:

31900b.jpg

mATX case /w SFF slots:

149854621_tp.jpg

LP 9600se AGP:

9633%20Faceplate%201.jpg

Up to a Celeron D 350 (NOT a dual core, but 3.2ghz, 533 fsb, 73 watts heat dissipation)

Intel_celeronD.jpg

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, a Dell Optiplex GX150 or GX260 would be the easiest bet. Those should have no problems with Win9X, and the slimline cases are pretty tiny. Even the GX270 should work, but you might run into problems if you go any newer than that, as I think the GX280 moved to a 9-series chipset.

@Prophase, might wanna be careful with that combo, there weren't many 845 motherboards that would support Prescott chips. Prolly best to go with either a Northwood chip or an 865 motherboard, just to be sure of compatibility.

Reply 3 of 10, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

might wanna be careful with that combo, there weren't many 845 motherboards that would support Prescott chips. Prolly best to go with either a Northwood chip or an 865 motherboard, just to be sure of compatibility.

Been there, done that, no problems, with a GX260 none the less!!!!! I was actually thinking of putting those down but honestly they are kinda noisy. I'm currently using a GX280 as my media center PC. And yes you are absolutely correct about as far as the chipset goes, it is a 915. Good times mate.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 4 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys but i just got this on ebay 😁

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I uses an Asrock P4I65GV motherboard with an Intel 865GV chipset. It's fully compliant for Win 98/ME/2000 and XP 😎 This system is mainly going to be used for emulation (Kega, MAME, NeoRageX and Zsnes etc..... nothing intensive).

Do you think this was a wise purchase? I've never used the Intel 865 chipset but apparantly this Asrock board is rock solid! Can't wait until it's all set up 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a great choice. We had mentioned 865 based systems for Win98 a little bit in this thread here.

Last edited by prophase_j on 2009-09-18, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 6 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been there, done that, no problems, with a GX260 none the less!!!!!

I'm interested to hear how you pulled that off. I have a GX260, and it absolutely would not boot with a Prescott chip... I tried a couple different CPUs and BIOS versions to be sure, too.

Reply 7 of 10, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose I may have had a different board revision than you did. Unfortunately, I don't have that computer anymore so I don't think I could pin that detail down for you. When I was processor shopping I just matched up the FSB and voltage, as opposed to checking for official compatibility.

I am definitely no t saying that your wrong though, I just did some searching about the issue and confirmed that 845 + Prescott usually don't work together. I did find another person here that pulled it off, so I guess that I was just lucky.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 8 of 10, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KEGA holy crow thats old! KEGA has since evolved into Fusion wich runs quite well. In fact fusion runs better over network by accessing another computer's hard drive over wifi on linux better than a native linux sega emulator.

Reply 9 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

KEGA holy crow thats old! KEGA has since evolved into Fusion wich runs quite well. In fact fusion runs better over network by accessing another computer's hard drive over wifi on linux better than a native linux sega emulator.

Fusion is still Kega! It's now called "Kega Fusion" 😀 I also use Gens from time to time.

Reply 10 of 10, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gens is the one i tried running on linux it ran like poop. Good ol KF emulator i play streets of rage on it alot untill i get to the end if stage 2 where that guy with the jet pack beats the crap out of ya.