VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Laptop HDDs - I had no idea they were so small! Both of these HDDs are 80GB, and both have recent manufacture dates (2009). The desktop HDD is a Western Digital Caviar, and the laptop HDD is made by Fujitsu, which can be seen here -

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchToo … sp?EdpNo=281008

Apparently, the Idle dBA @ 1 meter on this HDD is just 16, which is almost silent. I can't test it however, as I need a 2.5 to 3.5 HDD adapter cable. I've included a photo of one, which I've ordered. One thing puzzles me, is that these adapters are always advertised as 40-pin. Does that mean no 80-pin adapters exist? Would that be one disadvantage to using laptop HDDs in a desktop PC? Also, I think the Fujitsu HDD only spins at 4200 rpm, which is slower than the chunkier WD Caviar, which spins at 7200 rpm.

Attachments

• hdds.JPG
    Filename
    hdds.JPG
    File size
    64.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ide.jpg
    Filename
    ide.jpg
    File size
    5.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure my Dell XPS M1730 laptop has an SATA HDD with a tiny connector. I had to remove it once before shipping the laptop to have the screen replaced.

Reply 3 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Where the hell do you have 80-pin IDE plugs??

I think I meant Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA cable? 😉

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    Filename
    80.jpg
    File size
    32.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Hehe, honestly swaaye, as I was editing my reply with that very webpage link in it, I saw your re-edited reply in my "preview thread" box! 🤣

Reply 8 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for adapting a laptop HD to a desktop system, you can use one of these, and hook up a regular 80-conductor IDE cable to that. It'll run at whatever ATA speed the hard drive supports. Not that higher ATA speeds would matter much anyway, a small capacity, low RPM drive like that probably isn't going to do much more than 33MB/sec .

Do keep in mind that a 4200RPM drive is going to be ungodly slow, not just in transfer speeds but in general responsiveness as well. You do not want to use that thing as a boot drive, especially if you're going to be running a modern OS like XP on it.

Reply 9 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was hoping that this 4200 RPM 2.5" HDD would be OK for a Win95 or WFWG 3.11 or DOS 6.22 boot drive. For Win98, I will use a regular desktop 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD. When I get this 2.5" HDD up and running, I could run a speedsys.exe test, as this utility has a Full HDD test.

Reply 10 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it should do OK for a small OS like that, where there's not as many little files to load on boot. It'll at least be better than the old PIO-mode drives that were used back in the 3.11/95 era.

Reply 11 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got the HDD up and running, and you're right, it is rather slow. I did a couple of speedsys tests (fast and full), and the results were not impressive. I've got a minor technical problem here, so I couldn't upload the speedsys screenshot(s), but the fast HDD test score was only 507. The low idle noise was superb, but the seek noise was about the same as any other good modern desktop HDD.

I tried plugging the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter cable in to the Asus P2B mobo's integrated IDE port, but the mobo's BIOS HDD detection feature froze. The HDD is 80GB, and the mobo's BIOS is only 1012, so maybe I need to get the latest beta BIOS? Anyway, I used an Abit 66 speed PCI IDE HDD card instead. Unfortunately, this Abit HDD card could only see the HDD as a 10GB drive, not 80GB, but at least it didn't freeze, and it also allowed me to use the HDD.

I installed Windows 98 on to the HDD, and the whole process wasn't too slow. Unfortunately, the Abit HDD card shows up as a yellow ? symbol in the system control panel section, and I haven't got the driver for it. I had a quick look on Abit's website, but couldn't find it. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I did notice one thing - if I shut down Win98, then power on the PC again, scandisk pops up telling me that I should shut down the PC properly, and then proceeded to check the HDD.

My very quick conclusion is that getting a 4200 RPM 2.5 inch HDD may have been a mistake. Modern single platter (eg 80GB) 7200 RPM 3.5 inch desktop ATA IDE HDDs are both fast and quiet. (But the problem with this is that those specific types of HDDs are getting rare, in terms of buying them brand new from online retailers for instance.)

Perhaps a 5400 RPM 2.5 inch HDD would have been a better choice?

Edit: Please see my 2nd post below - I've improved the HDD test score from 500 to 900.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2009-09-19, 15:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Modern single platter (eg 80GB) 7200 RPM 3.5 inch desktop ATA IDE HDDs are both fast and quiet. (But the problem with this is that those specific types of HDDs are getting rare, in terms of buying them brand new from online retailers for instance.)

Maplins still list 40gb and 80gb IDE 7200rpm 3.5" drives.

Reply 13 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Maplins still list 40gb and 80gb IDE 7200rpm 3.5" drives.

You're right, they do -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=97409

Curiously, these 40 & 80 GB HDDs are simply described as "OEM" - no specific technical information about them appears to be available. I'm suspicious! 🤣

Reply 14 of 15, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've made some "adjustments", and my previously reported speedsys fast HDD test score of 500 has now been improved to 900. Basically, I removed the Abit 66 speed PCI IDE HDD card. But I couldn't plug the HDD back in to the Asus P2B mobo's integrated IDE port without using Seagate's SeaTools for DOS. Using this free download utility, I adjusted the HDD's space capacity from 80GB down to 8GB. Then, I plugged the HDD in to the mobo's IDE port, and the mobo's BIOS HDD detection facility didn't freeze this time - it found the HDD successfully, with the limited 8GB size.

So, running the speedsys fast HDD test gives me much better results. Perhaps this could be improved, if I remove the basic adapter "40 cable", and replace it with a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter "block" which will then allow me to use my own HDD cable - a faster "80 cable".

Reply 15 of 15, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The P2B should have no trouble with drives up to 128GB, I had a 120GB in my P2B-DS for awhile and it ran fine. I'm not sure what version of the BIOS is required for that to work, though.

Also, a proper 80-conductor cable shouldn't make a difference, since your IDE port is only DMA/33 anyhow. Though, I do have my suspicions about the quality of the adapter cable you have... it would still probably be worthwhile to get a separate adapter board and use a regular IDE cable, even if you don't use an 80-conductor cable.