VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Power to mobo = on. Green "busy" light appears on Sony CDU76E 4x CD-ROM drive. This green busy light never switches off. I put a disc inside the CDU76E. The disc spindown never occurs, it just spins indefinitely. Sony, why have you done this? This is the 2nd CDU76E I've tested, and both CD-ROM drives appear to have no spindown.

Reply 2 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CD-ROM drive's jumper is set to Master. I'm using a Promise data cable, with blue/beige/black plugs. Blue goes in mobo, black in the CD-ROM drive. The CD-ROM IDE port (and also the cable) is "keyed", so the cable only goes in one way. I've installed it in a socket 7 board, made by Chaintech. It's plugged in to the secondary IDE port. Inside the BIOS, I've got UDMA set to Auto, but during the BIOS POST, it is reported as CD-ROM mode 2, which is probably just fine. I even DL'd the Sony DOS driver package - cdu17e.zip, and that installed OK.

I think it's just a poorly designed piece of hardware. I think it should spindown very quickly, say no more than 30 seconds...

Reply 4 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CD-ROM drive has Master, Slave and Cable Select settings. I just tried putting the HDD + CD-ROM in to Master + Slave setting, but that didn't help resolve this problem. (I attached the black end plug of the data cable to the HDD, and the middle beige plug of the data cable to the CD-ROM.)

I very much doubt if this makes any difference, but there's nothing attached to the F.GND metal "lug" on the back of the CD-ROM drive.