VOGONS

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was messing around with a Turtle Beach Rio card, being a midi daughterboard, 4MB GM. This card has some fancy features such as samplestore, and bi-directional communication over the midi port. I was hoping to try that out, but I can't get any further than just playing midi music with the thing. Even the Rio control panel doesn't seem to make much sence or have much effect on the card. I tried it with a CMI8330 soundcard and also a Montego-II soundcard. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm.. I think this might be the cause: As done on the classic waveblaster infterface I have pin no. 8 disconnected on my home-made waveblaster adapter board. But I think the RIO uses this pin for feedback messages.
Wikipedia Creative Wave Blaster

Reply 2 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Gerwin,
Today I got a RIO DB (Rev. 2.0 manually upped to Rev. 3.0) on a Turtle Beach TAHITI host card, the bundle is called and was sold as MONTEREY.

What I found out is that the DB requires a host card with MIDI-IN connected on the waveblaster header. The TAHITI has this feature and therefore you can use the sample RAM and the RIO control panel.

Actually the DB has a nice quality. IMO it sounds not as homogenous/ well balanced as Yamaha or Roland modules but you can hear that its samples are in very high quality (4MB uncompressed ROM) and good sounding from what I can tell right now (just tested with two games) and the effects are very rich by default (a little bit on the AWE-side if you ask me). But I think one can reduce these effects, but I yet don't know how.

Cheers,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 3 of 12, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd also like to know how to reduce or set the effects when using the Turtle Beach Rio with a different host card card (i.e. not a TB Tahiti). And yes, it does work with the Tahiti/Monterey software in Windows 95 or 98.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 4 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have the Tahati+RIO=Monterey bundle, but have not worked with it lately.
Regarding the effects, I reduced them with the RIO control panel in Windows, but intercepted the midi signals that the control panel send out, so now I can send the sysex code for 'reduced effects' with some DOS program.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would you mind sharing these sysex values?

It will be a simple task to make a batch calling gsplay sending the sysex to the corresponding MPU-401 interface.

Thanks in advance,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 6 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem,
Attached to this post are my RIO sysex experiments, with MDF.EXE to send them to the card in DOS.

Attachments

• Filename
    mdf_rio.zip
    File size
    36.04 KiB
    Downloads
    155 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much, gerwin!
I still don't know how to exactly setup the values for either chorus or reverb but I think I will find out.

Reply 9 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really,
But the Soundfont that was used for the RIO is still commercially available at http://www.voicecrystal.com

Reply 10 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The same patch set was also used on the Turtle Beach Tropez+ . Compressed versions of the patch set are used on the Turtle Beach Tropez, the Turtle Beach MAUI and on the Aztech Waverider 32 (1st revision).

Reply 11 of 12, by Brak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is why I am interested. I have both the tropez and tropez+ cards. I used them extensively for recording on my old PC that has ISA ports. So I am wanting to have the same sounds available. I remember a long time ago seeing something online about a hack to use the tropez as a stand-alone device, without needing a PC. Failed trying to find it again. Anyone know anything about that?