VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The way I do it seems inefficient. In order to prepare for a Windows 98 installation, I boot up using a win98 "DOS based" floppy disk, then fdisk the HDD at the A:\ prompt, then format c: the HDD. The problem with this is that the fdisk (and format) utilities seem to get the capacity of the HDD wrong. For instance, fdisk only made a 10.something GB partition on my 80GB HDD. Strange - why just 10.x GB?

Please can someone recommend some kind of bootable utility (preferably floppy disk based, as I sometimes use 486 mobos) which is better than booting up from a standard win98 "DOS" floppy disk? Thanks a lot.

Also, I use SeaTools for DOS to limit the capacity on my HDDs, for testing purposes. I usually select a small capacity, something like 2 or 8 or 10 GB. This makes the fdisk and format processes much faster. I connected up a "capacity capped" HDD to my current Gigabyte mobo (GA-K8NS), and unlike all of my other mobos, this mobo *can* see beyond the dreaded 28-bit LBA 127GB boundary. Consequently, the mobo completely ignored the "capacity capped" limit, and reported the HDD at its maximum capacity. I tried to impose the capacity limit on the HDD again using SeaTools for DOS, but it failed - it wouldn't allow me to cap the drive's capacity.

Reply 2 of 4, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This my not help you but you ever use a drive image tool? If you have a base system and swapping out parts a drive image tool is a dream come true. Instead of formatting your drive and reinstalling your OS, you just load up an image and POW your ready to rock.

I have a base image (or several actually) for my retro systems: I do a base install with no drivers, just Windows, chipset drivers and maybe a NIC. I make an image of the C: partition onto another partition. Then play with whatever video/sound cards. When I'm done and ready to swap some hardware I load the image and the drive is already formatted and windows installed ect.

I use Ghost, and older simple DOS program I pulled off a Soyo motherboard utilities disk. Try it out if ya wants. Does not support NTSF, I use it with DOS/Win9x boxes.

Get it here ---> http://home.comcast.net/~bushwack/vogons/ghost.zip

Reply 3 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 to create a partition that takes up all but the first 20 GB. Then hide it. After that I just boot from an OS disc and when I format the unallocated space at the beginning it takes less time. Then resize it once everything has been installed.

I never needed a floppy for Windows 98. The CD is has always been sufficient.

Similar to bushwack's idea, once everything is installed I make a copy of the partition. When it's time to update my installed programs I set the copy as active and take to opportunity to clean up some clutter.