VOGONS

ATI Radeon 9800XT - is it broken?

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received this card in the post, wrapped inside the thinnest padded bag imaginable. Testing it, the screen looks "corrupted" with odd lines and dots. Is this "bad video RAM"? I've tried both VGA and DVI ports, but I get the same effect. Is there no hope for it?

Reply 2 of 27, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably overclocked to pieces by the previous owner

It was one of these cards I recieved dead that fried my Abit KT7A Raid

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 27, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stick your fingers on the capacitors and see if they wobble. That's how I figured out what was wrong with mine. Make sure your power supply has a rating of at least 300 watts. If all else checks out, it's likely the ram. It may still be salvageable if you lower the clock, which you can do with various utilities (I use Riva Tuner) or even by flashing the BIOS.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The capacitors look and feel OK, and the PSU is 450W. Everest Home edition reports 43C at desktop start up. I DL'd and ran RivaTuner, and lowered the default clocks, but no joy - the general image is still corrupted to various degrees on all games run. dxdiag.exe graphics tests worked once though, but on another occasion looked strange. I fear the worst.

prophase_j - is there a reason why you picked the XT over the Pro model?

Reply 5 of 27, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

is there a reason why you picked the XT over the Pro model?

It's faster. 😀

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 6 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try downclocking the RAM and see if that fixes the problem. ATITool 0.24 should be able to change clocks (newer versions are troublesome with old cards). And you can edit the BIOS with the Rabit Bios Editor and flash with ATI Winflash or DOS ATIFlash.

I've had to do this to some 9700 cards.

You should verify that the BIOS isn't already overclocked too. You can find official clock speeds here: (412/365 look to be what XT should be at)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AM … rocessing_units

Reply 7 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! - I've just DL'd those 3 progs, and will give them a go ASAP. Re: "412/365 look to be what XT should be at" - yes, I can confirm this to be the case with the graphics card, because RivaTuner showed me those values as defaults when I tried to lower them.

Reply 8 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, all hope is not lost because the seller said "send it back for a refund". Also, I tried ATITool 0.24 but unfortunately it's 2000/XP only. I also tried ATI Winflash, but it complains about a missing non-win98 DLL called psapi.dll. I DL'd that too, and installed it in the system32 folder, but the Winflash prog still wasn't happy. I tried the DOS ATI flash program instead, at the C:\ "safe command prompt", and I was able to save the BIOS in to a file. Then, I used the Rabit windows program to read in this file, but I couldn't see how I could improve the situation, as the clock speeds seemed OK. Oh well. I did manage to get a Radeon 9800 Pro card working OK today, so that's some good news. 😀

Reply 9 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to try reducing the RAM clock speed to below stock. That's what I've had to do with a few 9700 cards that developed image artifacts. I figure either the RAM chips or the GPU memory controller degrades over time on those cards.

I didn't consider that you would try those apps in 9x. 😀

Reply 10 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried this a couple of times using RivaTuner - I adjusted the memory clock speed to much lower values, but unfortunately the problem persists. When I see the BIOS POST screen, the text is always corrupted, and then the Win98 splash screen is always corrupted too.

When the postman pushed the card thru the letterbox, there was a sickening thud as it hit the hard stone floor. Perhaps that's the reason why it isn't working properly? 🤣

Reply 12 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What motherboard are you using it with? I had an ATI 9800 Pro running on an Epox socket A board using a Via chipset (cant remember the exact one?) and the video output had lines and random green dots everywhere! It worked perfectly with an Intel 845g motherboard though 😕

Have you tried it with another mobo? (i'm sure you probably have 😎 )

Reply 13 of 27, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great minds think alike 😀 It could be that the motherboard is not providing enough voltage to the AGP slot (I'm assuming it's AGP?) because it was made for older generation AGP cards?

Reply 14 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know some older non-Intel boards had flakey AGP support (VIA, SIS, ALI). I found that i had no problems with low-end AGP cards... Just the high-end one's running on non-Intel boards 😖 (the Radeon 9800 was quite high-end at the time!).

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2009-10-14, 21:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the 9800 Pro works, I doubt that it's AGP compliance probs...

There could be some missing surface mount components perhaps... Or a broken solder joint/ball.

Reply 16 of 27, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have used my 9800xt in a couple Via based boards, KT133a and KT333. I think they are getting enough voltage, the only adjustments I have made is to disable fast writes and setting the AGP Drive Strength to DC to make then work well.

However has far as rg100's case, I totally agree with swaaye on this one.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 17 of 27, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me it also looks to be a defective card rather than mainboard compatibility problems. Two Radeon 9800 cards (XT and SE) went bad on me (with the same symptoms as yours) before I found one that worked reliably (a 9800 Pro). These cards always seem to run on the edge of instability.

Reply 18 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using this R 9800 XT AGP 4x/8x graphics card in this Gigabyte mobo: GA-K8NS socket 754 rev 2 mobo, as featured in this Vogons thread:

Building a really fast Win98 rig...

This mobo has an AGP slot (8x/4x AGP 3.0 compliant), which supports 1.5v display card only. Is this OK?
Also, it has an NVIDIA nForce3 250 Platform Processor (chipset).

I haven't tested the R 9800 in any other mobo yet. I've got an Epox "retro rocket" mobo that I could try, or an ABit mobo with a Pentium 4 CPU in it, but I think the AGP slot (2x/4x) is a bit crappy, and the 4x speed option doesn't work all that well.

Reply 19 of 27, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mystery deepens. I've just tested a GeForce FX5950 Ultra in the Gigabyte board, and noticed some unusual graphical glitches appearing on the screen. That was just running Duke Nukem 3D inside a "Dos box" in windows 98. Definitely looked like there was something wrong. I'm going to dig out another mobo to test these gfx cards - that is, the XT again and also the FX. I've got an Abit KT7A to hand - I think I'll grab that and give it a go...