VOGONS

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just received a somewhat exotic new PCI card. It is a Gigabit Lan+USB 2.0 combo card. Purchased because I want to save space inside a system, so I have more space for soundcards and such.

But it doesn't behave nice with the system I want to use it for. At boot the screen just remains idle, the rest of the system sounds like it boots up normally, but I cannot see a thing on the screen? another PCI slot gives the same situation, and removing the card makes everything work again.

Now that was with an Intel 440BX pentium III. when I put the PCI card briefly in another VIA apollo pro Pentium III, all seems well, I can see the BIOS startup screen and such. But I need it in my BX system...

Attachments

• pci_usb+lan.jpg
    Filename
    pci_usb+lan.jpg
    File size
    100.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Lan+USB 2.0 combo PCI card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the info. So I am out of luck in that case.

I found the original manufacturer: http://www.lycom.com.tw/NW200.htm
They state:
-Compliant with PCI Specification, revision 2.2
-32 bit, 33MHz fully compliant PCI host interface
-Integrated PCI DMA engine

The card contains a Realtek RTL8169SC chip and a NEC 0720101GJ chip. The first one for LAN the latter for USB 2.0. I thought Nec was a good brand for USB chipsets.

My normal USB 2.0 card was from the cheapo 'Sweex' brand and has a VIA VT6212L chip. That one works fine.

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well who knows, the mobo could be the problem. Maybe it's not fully compliant.

My Abit BF6 440BX is very picky about PCI cards and what slots they go in, but the cheapo USB 2.0 (VIA chip) card prevents POST entirely. I have problems with NICs, UltraATA cards, sound cards, etc. It have to juggle slots until the board's happy. It is probably the most picky board I've used.

Reply 4 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My particular mainboard:

Soyo SY-6BA+III 100MHz FSB Pentium II Processor Based ATX Mainboard with AGP port Intel 440BX 5 x 32 bit Bus Mastering PCI slots […]
Show full quote

Soyo SY-6BA+III
100MHz FSB Pentium II Processor Based ATX Mainboard with AGP port
Intel 440BX
5 x 32 bit Bus Mastering PCI slots (v2.1 compliant)

I just read that SOYO is no more, bankrupt in may 2009, RIP SOYO...

FOR A VIA APOLLO PRO MAINBOARD: It's should be noted that the Trinity 400 is PCI 2.2 compliant, meaning that 3.3v standby power […]
Show full quote

FOR A VIA APOLLO PRO MAINBOARD:
It's should be noted that the Trinity 400 is PCI 2.2 compliant,
meaning that 3.3v standby power is required for all PCI slots, DIMM banks,
and PS/2 outputs, so be sure to unplug the AC power cord before adding or removing any peripherals.
This is one of those times that a physical power switch on the power supply can come in handy.

So it seems like it might not be that mysterious. Now where to solder that 3,3 Volt line? 🙄 Or is there more to it?

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might try checking for motherboard BIOS updates.

I put an Asus Xonar DX sound card in my Athlon 64 X2 system (with an Asus motherboard!) and it prevented the second on-board SATA controller from working. Asus claimed that they couldn't replicate the issue, but that didn't help me any. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to building a new desktop is so I can move the Xonar DX over to the new machine and reconnect my offline SATA drives to my old system; it'll be like Christmas because it's been so long that I don't even remember what's on those drives now except for some B5/DS9 episodes 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the suggestions.
I actually thought this PCI 2.1 vs 2.2 issue was a matter that could not be overcome, but after reading a bit more I am not so sure anymore. The additional 3,3V rail is optional in the PCI 2.2 specification anyways.

So I want ahead and tried some other card combinations in the system, and I found the following: The NW200 PCI card and my Abit Geforce MX440 don't like eachother. When I put in another Geforce MX200 or MX440 all seems to boot up OK. The abit is the faster 128-bit card though and has the old Vesa BIOS which allows refresh rates above 60Hz in Dos.

HunterZ wrote:

Might try checking for motherboard BIOS updates.

I already have the latest one flashed, for ages now.

--------------
EDIT:
Hooked up another 440BX Mainboard, And tried the PCI card again. In this mainboard the PCI card dislikes all the above mentioned videocards. No video output again.
So it is decided: This PCI card is going back for a refund.
I would think USB 2.0 cards would be aimed at older mainboards with no USB ports or just USB 1.1, but the people who made this card seem to think differently.