VOGONS

First post, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to know what men here think about most _powerfull_ PC having exellent compatibility with DOS & Win98SE games (games supporting WinXP are outside of our situation)?

For sure, such PC must to have ISA slots (at least one) for sound card (AWE64 Gold is the best for this). So Pentium 3 is the most powerfull CPU for such computer, because P4 MBs had no ISA. The most fast of P3 CPU's were Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.33 GHz, and among motherboards for Tualatin only those with VIA chipset (694T, for example) had ISA slot. Such boards supported HDD up to 120 Gb (more big HDD they saw as 120 Gb one).

The most interesting situation is with video card. Some men said that best compatibility with DOS+Win98 games have cards not newer than Geforce3, other that the limit is Geforce FX 5xxx. Maybe someone here have experience in this theme, or theoretical thoughts about this. And what about compatibility of Voodoo5 with all Win98 games?

Reply 1 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think thats bogus.

If you want to have a very powerful PC with ISA buy a industry mainboard for C2D or i7. You will waste the additional cores, but it will be fast.

If you want compatiblity with DOS, better to say 'DOS Software' everything beyond a P166MMX goes down in compatibility. Some games as DoTT won't run anymore, all unpatched Turbo Pascal based programs will not run anymore and so on...

AWE64 Gold is best? Where is the GM compatibility, good Wavetable? Ever thought about a GUS?

For DOS take a S3 card. S3 Trio64 is sufficient.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 12, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

If you want to have a very powerful PC with ISA buy a industry mainboard

I am interested only in mass things, they are cheaper. 😀

If you want compatiblity with DOS, better to say 'DOS Software' everything beyond a P166MMX goes down in compatibility.

Problems with speed in _some_ crooked-programmed games can be bypassed with slowers, and sometimes with patches. Plus on P2 it was possible to switch off 1st level cach to solve it (do not know how with P3).

AWE64 Gold is best? Where is the GM compatibility, good Wavetable?

FM is enough for me, and quality of AWE's WT music is good for me too. As a second sound card GUS is good, but it's hard to find for acceptable price now.

For DOS take a S3 card. S3 Trio64 is sufficient.

As a second video card maybe some PCI card could be used.

Reply 4 of 12, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

These PC's work for me.
Pair of Retro PC's

PowerLeap PL-iP3/T v2 is a nice thing, this can allow to use 440BX MB with 2 ISA with Tualatin 1.4GHz. Unfortunally it's expansive - from $60 on ebay. But if someone allready have a GUS (better if GUS PnP), or other usefull ISA thing, it worth a price.

Reply 6 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't afford to be cheap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look around a bit for better deals. IMO $60 is excessive for a Tualatin adapter, I've seen a couple in the past few months for ~$40, and there's one up right now for $34 shipped, with CPU and heatsink.

Or, if you really want to save some cash and you're handy with a soldering iron, it isn't even that hard to modify a regular Coppermine slotket to work with Tuallies.

Reply 8 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Upgradeware isn't just a different name, but a different company. They were the main competitor to Powerleap, and their products were just as good, but for whatever reason, they don't command the same price premium.

Reply 9 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Upgradeware Slot-T differs from the powerleap in that the latter has an additional power supply line. So the mainboard doesn't have to provide the current that the tualatin requires (lower voltage but more amps).
Upgradeware Slot-T works fine for me though.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nekto wrote:
elianda wrote:

If you want to have a very powerful PC with ISA buy a industry mainboard

I am interested only in mass things, they are cheaper. 😀

Then you probably want to try this.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 12, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) First, this should be moved to Marvin

2)

Nekto wrote:

FM is enough for me.

God Bless ya, it sure would have saved me a lot of frustration and $$$.

3) What exactly are you trying to run? I think you'll avoid a lot of headache if you don't try to shoot for a silver bullet PC.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀