VOGONS

P4 Win98 machine - 256MB Ram enough?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought one of those via P4 mATX boards with universal agp slot, so I will be able to run my Voodoo5 with it (P4 MA Pro 533 - does anyone have any experience with this one?)
I'm thinking about a fast Win98 pc able to play the latest / last win98 games (especially Ultima 9), but it would be great to use it with dosbox too. As there are no ISA slots, sound will come from a vortex2 based card and a Waveforce 192 (YMF744) clone (so there is a "real" OPL3 and the possibility to run it in pure dos with sbpro and a GM support).

What about the RAM - will 256MB be enough? I once read that it doesn't make much of a difference for win98 if you have 256 or 512mb. Would it make a difference with dosbox?

Reply 3 of 14, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always wondered how much RAM would be required for Windows 98 SE to function at an optimum level. Recently, I thought that 512mb was simply overkill, and that a smaller amount would be perfectly sufficient. Then I wondered if 3 lots of 128mb would be a "nice" amount to use. But if users "back in the day" were using far less than 256mb, then I reckon a simple one stick (of 256mb) approach would be a good choice. 1 stick of 256mb costs peanuts on ebay (that is, the PC-133 SDRAM stuff).

Reply 4 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to play Unreal on Win98 with 64MB of RAM. That was my Pentium II PC w/Voodoo from 1997-98. It was quite adequate. You can probably run 128MB and be good for almost every game that came out through 2001.

There is no best amount of RAM for Win98. However, when your apps start to require you run 9x with 512MB or more, maybe you should think about why you are even using 9x. No game designed for Windows 9x (back when you had to run 9x) needs anywhere near that much.

Reply 7 of 14, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know for a fact that one game in my experience needs close to 512mb of ram in Win98.
That is Ultima IX, using the maximum 16-bit textures with maximum viewing distance.
Of course, you could play Ultima IX in Windows XP as well, but there may be some small incompatibilities relating to the world physics.

Reply 8 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pianoman72 wrote:

I know for a fact that one game in my experience needs close to 512mb of ram in Win98.
That is Ultima IX, using the maximum 16-bit textures with maximum viewing distance.

On the other hand, Jane's Longbow 2 cannot run with more than 366Mb of RAM. I wonder if there are other games with such "too much RAM" problem as well.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread sounds like deja vu to me. Have I read it somewhere in this forum? I think I have even posted in that one.

Anyway, there's a system.ini entry that you can add to make the Win9x systems work with more than 512MB RAM.

256MB RAM is more than enough for a Win9x based OS.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 14, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
pianoman72 wrote:

On the other hand, Jane's Longbow 2 cannot run with more than 366Mb of RAM. I wonder if there are other games with such "too much RAM" problem as well.

You can set how much RAM the operating system can use.
EDIT:

Malik wrote:

Anyway, there's a system.ini entry that you can add to make the Win9x systems work with more than 512MB RAM.

How do I do that? I have Windows 98 installed in Virtual PC, and I want to try.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 14 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In System.ini, search for the section [VCache].
Under that add the line MaxFileCache=524288

Should look like this :

[VCache]
MaxFileCache=524288

If there's no [VCache] section, just add it and the next line. If the MaxFileCache already exists, change the numbers, if any present, to the above one.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers