VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to remove the old 545mb Seagate drive from my 486 and replace it with a 3.24gb Fujitsu drive.... The bios reports it as 1127mb but windows 95 can see the whole drive (3.24gb using FAT32 file system). I have tweaked around with the bios settings and the highest it would go is 1129mb! Is this a bios limitation? or maybe a limitation of the Winbond VLB I/O card?

I find it strange how the bios gets the size incorrect but Windows 95 shows it correctly 😒 is there an explanation for this and is there anyhting to worry about? Cheers 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to get the bios to detect the correct hard drive size? It's reported correctly within Windows 95 but how can this be possible? If the bios cannot detect the correct size then surely it should be displayed incorrectly in Windows 95 too?

Reply 2 of 5, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is probably indeed a BIOS limitation. Windows has it's own drivers and pretty much ignores the BIOS. Don't worry about it.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as the files windows needs to boot are located in the BIOS visible area it's okay. Once that part is loaded, windows will override the BIOS and access the disk directly.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold