VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have a k6-2 machine I've had for 10 years now! I've recently reinstalled win98 on it (after this machine being dead and driveless for a couple years), and am having directx sound issues. Most of the major games (quake 2, descent 2), etc have working sound, but a few are really glitchy. For instance, in Prince of Persia 3D, all the sounds are garbled. POP3d only needs DX 6.1, and I'm running DX 7. I reinstalled DX, but any game trying to use any 'fancy' DX features is a big fail.

I think it might be time to switch sound cards. I remember a long time ago the sound was perfect, but if I remember right, I think back then I had a Aureal card in there.

Currently, this machine is running a Media Vision PAS-16. (ISA)

I do have a Sound Blaster 16 ISA in a DOS machine. I think the SB is a slightly better card, so I could swap the two... the PAS should work fine in the other machine.

BUT... Here's my big questions:

-Does anyone know if the SB16 is better at handling DirectX (7) than the PAS? Both cards are about-as-old.

-Can anyone recommend a good PCI sound card that still has '98 support? I tried some $15 Inland 'crap' from Fry's and it just plain didn't work. (It was WDM... maybe I need DX9 for that? But my voodoo3 won't go up to 9, so forget that.)

-I've found PCI cards tend to be buggy for DOS games. Theoretically, I shouldn't have any trouble keeping an ISA card in the machine for DOS games, and just use the PCI card for Windows. (I could even chain one line out to the other's line in and it should 'just work.') Has anyone actually done a ISA+PCI sound card setup like this and had it work well? (Or if you had major problems, I would like to hear about that too. I may have to disable LPT1 or COM1 to get enough interrupts, but I don't use those ports anymore.

Reply 2 of 6, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. I had an old vortex2 card laying around, but I'm not sure if I have it anymore.

After finding some win98 WDM updates, I got the PCI sound card working. I also have it working along with the PAS, no trouble. I wonder how long that will last before some game finds a way to bluesreen the dual sound card setup. I guess I could always have two different hardware profiles set up for when that happens.

I'll look around and see if I can find a SB live.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need a PCI sound card for DirectX sound. ISA does not have enough bandwidth.

As you said, though, ISA cards are much better for DOS games.

You should be able to run both as long as you don't let them have conflicting settings.

Reply 4 of 6, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C-Media based PCI sound cards are also quite good 😀

The Hercules Muse XL card using the well known C-media CMI8738 chip is a good one to get.... and the Dos support is great too! 😎 : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HERCULES-Muse-XL-sound- … =item439a776ad7

Reply 5 of 6, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have mixed feelings about C-Media chipsets. Had several of them, CMI 8338, 8738 4ch and 5.1
FYI, even the SoundPro chip found on some mobos is infact a CMI 8330. Quality is not bad, but compatibility varies and on some systems the drivers are a pain in the backside.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)