VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know why this is happening, those blank posts above.

Hi all...just a question :

What is a typical lifespan of a ceramic capacitor, under perfect conditions, meaning no high temperatures or over/under currents, surges, no nothing, just its length of life.

Mean something like this : http://www.clickpartelectronics.com/images/TS … c_Capacitor.gif

I've seen someone posting on a certain forum that they can recover to the original state.

And what is the core made of?

Reply 1 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Lifespan I'd say a very long time. No liquid inside that could escape as in electrolytic capacitors.

Finding yourself a datasheet can answer your questions quite well.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 4, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I have found some finally, telling me something that could globalize my demand of this answer - Class 1 MLCC (multilayer ceramic capacitors) DO NOT AGE!!!...

And that brings up one more question: What class of capacitors was used in the 486 era? on the mobos I mean. And for instance the EVEREX EV 18210 - Amigaz might add some more info since he owns one (I will too, 4 of them 😀 )

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 3 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You should know though that ceramic capacitors don't nearly reach the capacity of electrolytic ones. There might be some modern ones with higher capacity, but these get expensive.

Older 486s tend to have tantalum and ceramic capacitors and newer boards also have electrolytic ones.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

I don't know why this is happening, those blank posts above.

It's because you're opening a [url] tag and then not closing it until the end of your posts.