VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My mobo is Soyo SY845PE ISA, which only has 4x AGP slot (1.5v). Will GeForce 6800 AGP work on my mobo?

From what I read, an XFX 6800 has AGP 4x / 8x interface, which means it should work on 4x slot (or shouldn't it?). However, a friend of mine said that each vendor could have different implementations of AGP. BFG, for example, has 4x / 8x AGP, while PNY only has 8x AGP.

While it's quite hard to believe (after all, they're both 6800GT, ain't they?), is such thing true? Will it limit my selection of 6800GT?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ghetto edit: my other alternative are either using a full 8x AGP motherboard (like Malik's ASRock 775i65G), or get a PCIe mobo. But then I'll wonder what should I do with these 845PE ISA mobos. 😖

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2009-11-04, 05:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 2 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as your card says it supports 4x, you should be fine. I used a 7600gt in a 4x slot for over a year.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 3 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

As long as your card says it supports 4x, you should be fine. I used a 7600gt in a 4x slot for over a year.

But is that true that certain vendors support 4x slot, while other vendors do not, despite the same GPU?

Reply 4 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose that is possible, although I'm familiar with any such cases.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 6 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AGP compatibility for sticklers wrote:

Check my sig for a link with some good AGP info.

Thanks, swayee. According to the website:

NVIDIA GeForce 6800: Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card

and

Intel 845: AGP 1.5V Motherboard

But still...

swaaye wrote:

I have heard of some boards made with a universal connector that aren't actually universal at all.

So there's a risk that there is a non-universal, non-1.5V, "AGP 3.0-only" 6800GT card? Which vendor is the "safest", then? How about PNY?

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 6800 should work fine in the 845. What you can't run is a 1/2x card as they expect the old 3.3v signal.

If you run across a universally slotted ATI Rage Pro, Voodoo3, or Matrox G200, for example, be very suspicious. 😁

Reply 8 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

The 6800 should work fine in the 845. What you can't run is a 1/2x card as they expect the old 3.3v signal.

If you run across a universally slotted ATI Rage Pro, Voodoo3, or Matrox G200, for example, be very suspicious. 😁

I see, glad to hear that. 😀

By the way, this thread was just made yesterday, and now it already shows up on Google search. Whoa.

Reply 9 of 9, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had understood that you can use the 7k series GPUs with win98. I didn't get a chance to try it myself since my 7600gt has died.

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.p … t&Number=223033

"Retro Rocket"