VOGONS

First post, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many of the games I play are retro, geared to Win98. I have a Vista machine and was considering dualing XP with Vista to play these games. It was suggested that I might want to instead install VMware or VPC. Just wondering, what do you guys think?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd try the VMWare path first. If the games work in that, it is much more convenient and you have to set your virtual W98 up only once and then take it with you on all following OS you go (theoretically at least).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You may have already answered this, but let me ask you. Is what you suggests preferable to dualing XP/Vista then using XP's compatiblity option to play some older games? One dude told me he prefers this since it allows him to play some older games configured only for XP and still play Win98 aps. I guess it depends on how many of these types of games you intend to play, no? What do you think?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I guess it depends on how many of these types of games you intend to play, no?

Exactly that 😀
Also some W9x games might not run correctly under XP. If your system has enough power I'd go for using a Virtual Machine for Windows 9x and another for Windows XP, if you really need XP for your games.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
papalou wrote:

One dude told me he prefers this since it allows him to play some older games configured only for XP and still play Win98 aps.

I have yet to find a game that doesn't work under native XP, but works under "win98 mode". From my experience, this mode in XP is totally useless. Go for virtual machine - you won't regret it.

It pays off to run a win98/XP natively only if you use some special hardware (e.g. a special video or sound card), for all other things VMware will finish the job.

Reply 6 of 6, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

First of all you won't have drivers for win98 so dual boot is not possible 😀

By the way, are there any win95 games that doesn't work in win98se?

Back at the time yes. Starcraft (first version, w/o expansion) didnt work under Win98, but worked nicely in Win95/97. I also had trouble with some other games but I cant remember which. It was a long time ago 😉