My new crusty socket 7 board

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
• 64-bit processor Intel Pentium with 16 Kbytes internal cache (first-level cache, 8 Kbytes data cache, 8 Kbytes code cache) or […]
Show full quote

• 64-bit processor Intel Pentium with 16 Kbytes internal cache (first-level cache,
8 Kbytes data cache, 8 Kbytes code cache) or
OverDrive processor for Pentium
or
• AMD-K5

Since when was the original Intel Pentium 64-bit?? I thought Intel introduced 64-bit compatibility with the later Pentium 4 revisions (Cedar Mill core)?

Reply 22 of 23, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Page 48: the CPU's top speed is 233mhz (not 200mhz). That's interesting, because on the wikipedia page for Pentiums, the old classic single voltage Pentiums only seem to go up as high as 200mhz. The more modern Pentiums (dual voltage?) CPUs do go as high as 233mhz.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the board supports the newer Pentium MMX chips in a direct plug-in-and-go sense. All that means is that it's capable of running a 3.5X multiplier. They probably didn't know at the time the board was made that the non-MMX chips would top out at 200mhz, so they made it support 233mhz for future compatibility.

Also, the manual being published in '98 is probably due to a BIOS update or something that required a revision to the manual. I expect that the board itself made in '96 sometime, or maybe early '97. You're right that November '98 would be quite modern for a P1 board... that would've been the time that the market had largely moved onto Slot1, and the only Socket 7 boards still being made (to my knowledge, anyway) were the AMD-centered Super7 and maybe a few ultra-budget-segment 430TX boards. The move to SDRAM was a big factor there, so the EDO-only 430HX was quite obsolete by that point.

Reply 23 of 23, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Page 48: the CPU's top speed is 233mhz (not 200mhz). That's interesting, because on the wikipedia page for Pentiums, the old classic single voltage Pentiums only seem to go up as high as 200mhz. The more modern Pentiums (dual voltage?) CPUs do go as high as 233mhz.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the board supports the newer Pentium MMX chips in a direct plug-in-and-go sense. All that means is that it's capable of running a 3.5X multiplier. They probably didn't know at the time the board was made that the non-MMX chips would top out at 200mhz, so they made it support 233mhz for future compatibility.

Also, the manual being published in '98 is probably due to a BIOS update or something that required a revision to the manual. I expect that the board itself made in '96 sometime, or maybe early '97. You're right that November '98 would be quite modern for a P1 board... that would've been the time that the market had largely moved onto Slot1, and the only Socket 7 boards still being made (to my knowledge, anyway) were the AMD-centered Super7 and maybe a few ultra-budget-segment 430TX boards. The move to SDRAM was a big factor there, so the EDO-only 430HX was quite obsolete by that point.

Same with mobo's today...they say it can run DDR2 1300mhz memory but only if you overclock like on my mobo for example
http://www.asus.se/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGE … dp0m&templete=2

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327