VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 Proud of myself for waiting, scored a STB BlackMagic Voodoo2 (12MB model) off ebay last night for $20!

Now to find another one!

On second thought though, has anyone successfully made a short VGA patch cable?

(Will post pics when I get it, hopefully next week)

Reply 1 of 19, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Private_Ops wrote:

😁 Proud of myself for waiting, scored a STB BlackMagic Voodoo2 (12MB model) off ebay last night for $20!

Now to find another one!

Good luck with that, I don't see too many of those on ebay.

You mean VGA or SLI cable? I know a SLI cable is pretty easy to make yourself with a floppy cable. I make myself one when due to IRQ conflicts I had to place my Voodoos apart with a PowerVR card in between them.

Reply 2 of 19, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The patch cable is easy to make. It's wired straight through, just like a standard VGA extension cord... hell, you can even use a standard VGA extension cord in a pinch, if you don't mind having a few feet of excess cable hanging off the back of your machine.

Reply 3 of 19, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bushwack wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:

Now to find another one!

Good luck with that, I don't see too many of those on ebay.

You mean VGA or SLI cable? I know a SLI cable is pretty easy to make yourself with a floppy cable. I make myself one when due to IRQ conflicts I had to place my Voodoos apart with a PowerVR card in between them.

Eh, never know, may run across one if I keep an eye out!

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The patch cable is easy to make. It's wired straight through, just like a standard VGA extension cord... hell, you can even use a standard VGA extension cord in a pinch, if you don't mind having a few feet of excess cable hanging off the back of your machine.

Yes, I mean the VGA pass through cable, I figured I could pick up a male and female 9pin plug at Radio Shack and wire a short one myself.

Reply 4 of 19, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What makes this particular Voodoo2 a nice find as compared to the official V2 1000 PCI or older Diamond Monster 3D II ?

I am not sure about the Diamond Moster 3D II but I know the V2 1000 (the one built by 3dfx/stb) is a 12MB model.

Reply 5 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a pair of STB Blackmagic 12MB cards. A friend gave them to me almost 10 years ago. 😀

They are just reference designs but they have black PCBs so that's kinda neat. They were most likely made at the plant in Mexico that 3DFX acquired shortly thereafter w/ STB to build all of their cards.

db3488120122400.jpg

Reply 6 of 19, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine actually turned out to be an 8MB model and I finally found another matching one. Oddly enough, one is made in Mexico and the other in Taiwan. Otherwise the cards appear to be exactly the same.

Reply 7 of 19, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

was this one of the new ones being sold?

I bought 2 STB V2's 12MBs off ebay a couple weeks ago that also has a heatsink and fans. I was surprise to find they were really new, even the pins for the pci bus were in new shape. I heard others say you can buy a 12" VGA cable off the bay.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

6 for sale here:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/STB-Blackmagic-3dfx-Voodoo … W-/110648843631

$15 each 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

was this one of the new ones being sold?

I bought 2 STB V2's 12MBs off ebay a couple weeks ago that also has a heatsink and fans. I was surprise to find they were really new, even the pins for the pci bus were in new shape. I heard others say you can buy a 12" VGA cable off the bay.

I bought a pair of these a while ago.... they are new old stock I believe.

I didn't bother connecting the fans on mine, because they are quite noisy and the cards don't need active cooling (I'm not gonig to bother overclocking them).

I'm running them in SLI and I had to make my own SLI ribbon cable out of a floppy cable, which isn't as difficult as it sounds.

You can buy 12" VGA cables on ebay to use as passthrough from your 2D card, just remember that you need a cable with female and male connectors. The one I got was male on both ends, but a $5 gender bender from the local computer shop sorted that out.

Reply 10 of 19, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of passthrough cables, any of you have a clue to a question i posted here?

Voodoo Questions

On post 2011-2-18 @ 03:31 pm I asked if anyone knew where I might find a cable for the round passthrough type.

(sorry, didn't know how to link directly to the comment)

Reply 11 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean the external cable?
You could basically use any VGA extension cord I think, as long as it has the right "plugs" on both ends.
But for image quality, either get a short one or one of good quality.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bytesaber wrote:

If you take a look at that other thread, you'll see some links. It appears to be a round 9pin to a db15. No clue what to search for.

Just the standard 15 pin VGA cable.
Just have a look at what connects to your Voodoo to see what you need.

Reply 16 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Private_Ops wrote:
:happyhappy: Proud of myself for waiting, scored a STB BlackMagic Voodoo2 (12MB model) off ebay last night for $20! […]
Show full quote

Now to find another one!

(Will post pics when I get it, hopefully next week)

There's a guy on ebay who has 12 of them for $15 each. 6 with the Tennmax coolers, which I have and are hard to find, and 6 without.

Something you have to watch out for, though, is there is also another seller on there right now who has a box full of Voodoo2 arcade boards without the endplates that cover the hole in the back of your PC. The problem with these is that they do not have the SLi connectors on them so I'd stay away from those if you plan to ever go SLi in the future.

Reply 17 of 19, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bytesaber wrote:

Its not a standard db15 on both sides. looks like db15 to something round that looks like svideo. did you see the links?

Yeah, kinda seems like nobody's bothered to actually read your posts. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get the cables, and even if you do run across some, you have to be careful as there were several differently-wired kinds used by different companies for different purposes. However, I do know that you can still get the 9-pin connectors, so it should be possible to fabricate one.

Reply 18 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:
bytesaber wrote:

Its not a standard db15 on both sides. looks like db15 to something round that looks like svideo. did you see the links?

Yeah, kinda seems like nobody's bothered to actually read your posts. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get the cables, and even if you do run across some, you have to be careful as there were several differently-wired kinds used by different companies for different purposes. However, I do know that you can still get the 9-pin connectors, so it should be possible to fabricate one.

Doh! I mistakingly assumed he was talking about a Voodoo 2, sorry Bytesaver! My bad! 😊

Reply 19 of 19, by recoil2525

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just baught an old packard bell of ebay got it home n opend it up and there was a blackmagic sat in it well happy only paid £5 for the machine another voodoo to my colection 🤣

http://thecomputercollection.webs.com/
http://the3dfxcollection.webs.com/
http://bioshock-2-online.webs.com/