VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone ever dared to try this combination?

It would require installing at least 2000 or XP (I know 486s can run 2000 but not DirectX 8, but Pentiums can still install 9.0c ) but i'm more worried on what it'll do for the voltages, and how much they suck at VESA.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 3, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Anyone ever dared to try this combination?

It would require installing at least 2000 or XP (I know 486s can run 2000 but not DirectX 8, but Pentiums can still install 9.0c ) but i'm more worried on what it'll do for the voltages, and how much they suck at VESA.

I don't even think it's worth trying with old PC's! I guess it could get very unstable or just may not work at all (PCI specifications could be a restriction). The GPU would be severely bottlenecked by the system so there probably wont be any performance gains over using an old 3DFX, Nvidia or ATI card.

Reply 3 of 3, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just out of curiosity, I went and stuck my PCI Geforce 6200 into a 430HX board I have around. It booted up and displayed just fine, but I didn't test beyond that, since I didn't have an OS installed (or even a hard drive hooked up).

The PCI 9-series are of a pretty similar PCIe->PCI bridged design, so the results would probably be similar with one of those.

That doesn't say anything about 486s or early Triton I/Neptune/Mercury boards, but if you happen to have a 430HX or later Pentium board, it would be a good bet for running whatever tests you want.