VOGONS

Abit P2, P3 and Celery board photos

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just won an ABit BH6 on ebay. It is the 2 ISA slot model. I guess this means it's the version 2 model. I have an ABit BH6 mobo already, but it has 3 ISA slots. That must be the version 1 model.

ABit%20BH6.jpg

Reply 21 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran a BH6 back in 98. My first BX mobo. It was pretty good but mine had some cold boot problems. I would often need to hit reset to get it to POST.

I can't remember if I had 2 or 3 ISA slots....

The later Abit boards have a better Softmenu with 1MHz FSB increments instead of the BH6's limited selection. That's what got me to buy a BF6. BF6/BE6-II also have more robust CPU VRM. I've read that Tualatins can blow up some of the BH6s (V1.0?) if you use a Slot T. The BH6 was designed for Pentium II.

Reply 22 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The BH6 sounds like a better mobo, but it has 1 ISA slot. Back in the day, did you not mind too much about only having 1 ISA slot? I guess by then, PCI sound cards were normal, and ISA was ancient history!

Reply 23 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I didn't need more than 1 ISA slot by 1999. Went from ISA NIC, sound card and modem to all PCI stuff. ISA hardware slows down Win9x games considerably so it was a priority to dump all of it. I did play around with having a second sound card installed for DOS games however.

Reply 24 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to get a Powerleap adapter working in this Abit AB-BH6 mobo. At first, I tried a 1GHz 100FSB chip. That worked, so I tried a 1.4GHz Tualatin 133FSB chip. At first, the mobo's BIOS got "upset" about this CPU. After each reboot, it would complain and state on the BIOS POST display area that the CPU was not correct.

To get around this problem, I set the BIOS option called "Speed error check" to Disabled. The BIOS POST screen also reports that this 1.4GHz chip runs at 1356MHz. That's another example I have seen recently where the BIOS POST screen does not display the accurate speed of the processor. Some benchies: Quake in pure DOS, in software mode = 228.2 FPS. Sandra 2002 Pro:

bh6.jpg

My camera's flash does not work. It makes indoor pics look orange! 😦
bh6_2.jpg

Edit: Immediately behind the CPU, between it and the parallel port, there is a line of caps. The last cap in this line, closest to the keyboard/mouse area looks domed. I don't often see domed caps on i440BX boards. Perhaps as this mobo is a later revision, with potentially more power involved (its BIOS multi option can go up to 12x), more strain could have been placed on the mobo over the course of its lifetime, and subsequently affected some of its on board components?

Reply 25 of 34, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Dop-eDMechk/TPKb8JgGwRI/AAAAAAAAAc0/U8BKKE5toG0/s800/bh6_2.jpg […]
Show full quote

bh6_2.jpg

Hey, where did you get those neato jumper switches? Looks like you have them on power and reset pins, that's an awesome idea and I have never seen them before. I usually just short the pins with a screwdriver. 🤣

Reply 27 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

Hey, where did you get those neato jumper switches? Looks like you have them on power and reset pins, that's an awesome idea and I have never seen them before. I usually just short the pins with a screwdriver. 🤣

Hehe! That's what I used to do, for about 6 months!

Markk wrote:

They look like case switches for turbo/reset, with shortened cables.. 😀

You can get 'em right here! 😀
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=310261032064 (This particular seller posts to the EU only.)

Reply 28 of 34, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's really great! I have lots of reset swithces witch are momentary type, but no more turbo-like latching ones and I could really use some... Thanks!

Reply 29 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Markk wrote:

Wow, that's really great! I have lots of reset swithces witch are momentary type, but no more turbo-like latching ones and I could really use some... Thanks!

Oh no! 😳 I just realised what you meant. These items (in my pic and in the auction) are of the momentary type!!

Reply 31 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RG100, is the sun's spectrum different in your corner of the galaxy? 😁 I refuse to believe that is just caused by a lack of a flash!!!

That is a nice BH6 setup you have btw. Makes me yearn for a BH6, but I must not go there because I need no more mobos!!!!

Reply 32 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 If I don't replace my camera soon, I'm going to end up with a library of orange looking photos.
You must get more mobos! More mobos = More fun. I think Einstein came up with that one. Here's one for sale. The seller points out that it's a "fantastic win 98 gaming system". 😀

Reply 33 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

🤣 If I don't replace my camera soon, I'm going to end up with a library of orange looking photos.
You must get more mobos! More mobos = More fun. I think Einstein came up with that one. Here's one for sale. The seller points out that it's a "fantastic win 98 gaming system". 😀

That set's not bad if you can get it for the current price ($15). I wouldn't have paid if he only had offered the mobo though (when it comes to Slot 1, I'm all set! 😁 )

Reply 34 of 34, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

That set's not bad if you can get it for the current price ($15). I wouldn't have paid if he only had offered the mobo though (when it comes to Slot 1, I'm all set! 😁 )

I second that, great combo deal if your in the market. I myself already have said BH6, 300A, Voodoo3 and SB Live. I need to bring them together again for a fantastic love force of win98.