PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Klingon Academy!

The game uses a lot of alpha blend so it's no surprise it doesn't look too bad. except for ships with lights and atmospheres.

Attachments

• ka.jpg
    Filename
    ka.jpg
    File size
    103.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 202 of 1104, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

No. Even though the options are there, there's no way I can get it to 24/32bit rendering!

Hmm, damn PowerVR and their advertising. That was the only main feature set advantage I could see over the Voodoo (besides its ability to support up to 1024x768 on a single card).

Reply 203 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I switched out the Geforce, no more HAL faults.

so yeah it's clear - geforce sucks with pcx2 because of nvidia's aggressive drivers

Also TNN Outdoor Pro Hunter, Nerf Arena Blast and Wheel of Time have working SGLDrvs.

Attachments

• nerf.jpg
    Filename
    nerf.jpg
    File size
    152.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • tnn.jpg
    Filename
    tnn.jpg
    File size
    192.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • wot.jpg
    Filename
    wot.jpg
    File size
    124.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 205 of 1104, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good entertainment right there; love to see footage on games that never intended to support the PCx2. The only PCx2 videos I've seen on youtube (prior to this) are pretty abysmal quality.

Reply 208 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to figure out what to record.
- Turok, benchmark in full
- Final Reality
- Tomb Raider PowerVR edition
- Mechwarrior 2 PowerVR
- Gunman Chronicles intro (sure there's half-life, but i think Gunman is much more impressive)

I should try games that have GL support hidden. like Warcraft III

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 209 of 1104, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
I have to figure out what to record. - Turok, benchmark in full - Final Reality - Tomb Raider PowerVR edition - Mechwarrior 2 Po […]
Show full quote

I have to figure out what to record.
- Turok, benchmark in full
- Final Reality
- Tomb Raider PowerVR edition
- Mechwarrior 2 PowerVR
- Gunman Chronicles intro (sure there's half-life, but i think Gunman is much more impressive)

I should try games that have GL support hidden. like Warcraft III

I don't think I've ever seen Dungeon Keeper 2 running on a PX2, uses D3D though.
Ultam@te Race Pro supports the PVR out of the box, looks pretty and runs fast. I have the demo somewhere if you want me to upload it.
You might give Homeworld a shot.

Reply 211 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got 24-bit output working! Was a registry checkbox hiding key.

Before diving into D3D crap, I'll need a way to force nvidia's direct3d hal to be disabled first. or somehow, have the pvr be a second display device

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 213 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see dithering, but also performance is slightly faster if GLQuake is to go by, assuming for the PCI bus being 32-bit so the image transfer is much faster (die bottleneck die!). timedemo demo1:

640x480x16 - 25.1fps
640x480x32 - 31.9fps

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 216 of 1104, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original Voodoo was already classified by the developers as having "insufficient hardware power" for the game. Still it'd be interesting to see if there's a workaround for the game, as it looks like it requires a card with full OpenGL ICD support (though there's always the D3D mode as well). For starters, alpha would look funny and the textures would also look blurry due to the chip's texture resolution limit.

Reply 217 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did actually get Serious Sam working at one point years ago, it didn't look right but the FPS was okay. I'll have to try it again, which is a coinicdence since I just installed the game yesterday!

I'm still able to test SGL and OpenGL games, just not Direct3D ones as Geforces give me a HALssle. 3dcc is no help for that case. remember that the 3dcc was written before there was dxdiag, so...

Mechwarrior 2 PowerVR
Quake2 PowerVR

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 218 of 1104, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
I did actually get Serious Sam working at one point years ago, it didn't look right but the FPS was okay. I'll have to try it ag […]
Show full quote

I did actually get Serious Sam working at one point years ago, it didn't look right but the FPS was okay. I'll have to try it again, which is a coinicdence since I just installed the game yesterday!

I'm still able to test SGL and OpenGL games, just not Direct3D ones as Geforces give me a HALssle. 3dcc is no help for that case. remember that the 3dcc was written before there was dxdiag, so...

Mechwarrior 2 PowerVR
Quake2 PowerVR

Video plz. 😁