VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How did you set that up?
I installed Win95, the yamaha drivers and set doom to general midi but got no music.

I tried installing powerymf but now I get protection faults at startup so I'm going to try win98 and see
if that helps any.

[Edit]
It does not, booting with the driver active causes a windows protection error 😒

I'm guessing the drivers require a pentium processor since I get nothing but blue screens and absolutely nothing when I try to play a midi file.

Reply 21 of 43, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought the YMF-724F-v off eBay and will be putting it in my ASUS P2B P3 box. It is going to supplement my Aureal SQ2500 which is currently serving double duty for both DOS and Windows 98. It doesn't have the greatest SB Pro compatibility, and I don't even try to use the FM, but it does host my Roland SCD-15 daughterboard which works in DOS! 😁 Alas, I miss FM synthesis sometimes though.

Couple questions:

1) Is the SB Pro quality on the Yamaha better than the Aureal?
2) I assume it should be possible to get both running. It appears the Yamaha requires IRQ 7, so I'd just set the Aureal to IRQ 5.
3) I need an SB-Link cable. Can I buy or make one?

Reply 22 of 43, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
valnar wrote:

FM quality is much better of course. compatibility measured in the amount of games running with sound is about the same as the Vortex-2. I noticed some games not working on the YMF-724 but working on the Vortex-2. And the other way around too.

valnar wrote:

2) I assume it should be possible to get both running. It appears the Yamaha requires IRQ 7, so I'd just set the Aureal to IRQ 5.

I did just that. In windows I give each card sperate resources. in Dos I select at startup which soundcard to activate at the default IRQ etc.
I used the Vortex-2 as a mixer either way, As I connected the YMF line-out to the vortex-2 line-in.

valnar wrote:

3) I need an SB-Link cable. Can I buy or make one?

Don't know if you can make one. I made one. You will need some components.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 25 of 43, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Behold!

Attachments

• sblink.jpg
    Filename
    sblink.jpg
    File size
    101.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Home-made SB-link cable
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 26 of 43, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
valnar wrote:

FM quality is much better of course. compatibility measured in the amount of games running with sound is about the same as the Vortex-2. I noticed some games not working on the YMF-724 but working on the Vortex-2. And the other way around too.

So other than the compatibility issue, have you found one card sounding better than the other in regards to SB Pro sound? I don't have an original SB16 (or SBPro) anymore, so I can't A/B the difference. Which is your preferred card for DOS?

Reply 27 of 43, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I'm missing something but your ASUS P2B has ISA slots, so why the trouble of using a PCI card for DOS?

Any ISA SB Pro (or clone card) + your Aureal + Sound Canvas would make an awesome solution.

As you already have a card hosting the Sound Canvas, any Soundblaster with a real OPL chip should be just fine.

Reply 28 of 43, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but your ASUS P2B has ISA slots, so why the trouble of using a PCI card for DOS?

Any ISA SB Pro (or clone card) + your Aureal + Sound Canvas would make an awesome solution.

As you already have a card hosting the Sound Canvas, any Soundblaster with a real OPL chip should be just fine.

Glutton for punishment?

I just want to get better sound quality out of my system. I use Win98 on this as well. If I come across a game which *requires* a real SB Pro or SB16 and will accept no substitute, then I can run it in DOSBox. But if I had to pick a primary purpose for this box, it would be Win98 first and DOS second.

Reply 29 of 43, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I have the Yamaha card in my DOS/Win98 system. Since Win98 runs FAT32, I copied the Yamaha DOS driver folder onto my C: drive (DOS). I also have the SB-Link cable installed.

What is the best way to activate this card so that it surely runs in SB-LINK mode as opposed to DDMA? It doesn't seem like the DOS driver folder has all the necessary files in there.

Reply 30 of 43, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

I recently put a yamaha 724 card in my a7m266 alongside an mx300 with roland scb7; usiing windows 98. I only play dos games in a windows dos box. Yamaha is 240/7/0 and aureal is 220/5/1 [in system control panel] or 220/5/3 [autoexec blaster line - shouldn';t this be the same?]. Not using a link cable.

I started to get random freezes on boot up and on shut down. There were also problems getting dos games to play through the right soundcards. I couldn't get them to use the yamaha for sound and the roland for music. And soimetimes a game would not play sound on a card that had been selected by setting blaster variable and pointing at the right resources.

Running 2 hardware configurations - with one sound card completely disabled under each - seems to have solved the freezes and games play sound and music now. Can't get yamaha sound + roland music but that hardly matters. Only problem is sound levels seem awry.

In windows of course, I can have all things enabled and for example compare midi played through roland and xg.

PS. I notice I have some multi-media device that windows can't find drivers for , but everything seems to work and it was like that before inserting the yamaha.

PPS. Also had that problem where changing a sound driver or whatever messes up the display properties. Not seen that for years...

Reply 31 of 43, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is a three-going-on-four-year bump, but all of the links I've found in this topic are dead, and the drivers I found were intended for Win95 and therefore screwed up AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS pretty badly (though I've since fixed both files). Anyone know of any good YMF-724-F drivers for DOS 6.22?

Reply 32 of 43, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the official drivers: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/

It's a Windows installer, but you can just extract the required files with uniextract and copy them over to your DOS machine.

Reply 33 of 43, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but 2.1 megs can't fit on a floppy drive, and the machine doesn't seem to have any other means of transferring files besides CDs (and I'd rather not use a CD to transfer a single 2.1MB file).

Reply 34 of 43, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maxaxle wrote:

Thanks, but 2.1 megs can't fit on a floppy drive, and the machine doesn't seem to have any other means of transferring files besides CDs (and I'd rather not use a CD to transfer a single 2.1MB file).

Use a program like Chunk : http://www.oldskool.org/pc/chunk to break your file into pieces you can fit on a floppy disk and then reassemble on the target computer. However, the install program requires Microsoft Windows. I would use the Universal Extractor to obtain the contents of the data1.cab file. From that archive, these are probably all the files you will need :

setupds.exe
default.pal
Dos4gw.exe
Dsdma.exe
Fmmidi.exe
loadtsr.bat
setupds.exe
ymh.mid
Ymh16.wav
Ymh8.wav

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 35 of 43, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Maxaxle wrote:

Remove original YMH16.wav, make a copy of YMH8.wav, rename it to YMH16.wav and everything other will fit on floppy. 😎

Reply 36 of 43, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've written a few of the files to the floppy drive, I think I'll need to make multiple "trips" in this case, but thanks a lot!

EDIT: So apparently I need "ds.ini" to even start the setup. Found it (in the root of the original dsxgdos.exe file/archive) and moved it to the DOS machine. Unfortunately, the setup then complains that it can't find a "YAMAHA DS-XG", which is obviously wrong since the YMF-724F is installed.

Reply 38 of 43, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all, I have a Labway Xwave 576 card which apparently contains a YMF-724E-V. I also have the original drivers disk from 1998 which apparently contains real DOS drivers that aren't available for download on the Yamaha website. I haven't tested these, but in case anyone else wants to try, I've put an ISO of the disk here:

http://www.filedropper.com/yamahaymfseriesxgs … twarec-104-0102

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 39 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2fort5r wrote:

Hello all, I have a Labway Xwave 576 card which apparently contains a YMF-724E-V. I also have the original drivers disk from 1998 which apparently contains real DOS drivers that aren't available for download on the Yamaha website. I haven't tested these, but in case anyone else wants to try, I've put an ISO of the disk here:

http://www.filedropper.com/yamahaymfseriesxgs … twarec-104-0102

Thanks! Placed it here (assuming there's no included full versions of videogames or anything):
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=652

If this is the sort of thing that interests you, you might want to contact SquallStrife by PM for an account on VogonsDrivers. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto