VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using an unknown 486 ISA/VLB board in my retro box, with a VLB I/O controller. All I can tell you off-hand about the BIOS is that it's an AMIBIOS, the one with the horrible green+brown+white default colour scheme.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 30GB HDD jumper-clipped at 2GB, but DOS will only let me see 500-ish MB with FDISK. In itself, this is expected behaviour.

In the past (the long distant past), I've used that Drive Overlay rubbish (Ontrack Disk Manager et al) to get big disks working on systems that lack LARGE/LBA access modes, but they don't seem to be doing their black magic in this case. The overlay setup utilities still see the disk as having 1024 cylinders.

I'm not having a whole lot of luck getting help from Google either. Most of the drive manufacturers have discontinued support for drive utilities containing overlays.

So, VOGONians, got any tricks up your sleeves I could use to get me some more space? Maybe I've overlooked something?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There were some add-on cards to overcome the ~500MB BIOS limitation.
I don't remember the names, though.

I've read a lot about that Disc Manager.. I wouldn't use it.

Reply 2 of 6, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've read a lot about that Disc Manager.. I wouldn't use it.

Yeah...

Retrospectively, it's probably a blessing in disguise that it didn't work...[/quote]

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what are you all talking about? I use DM 9.57 regularly, I still have to face any problems with it.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

what are you all talking about? I use DM 9.57 regularly, I still have to face any problems with it.

Me eiher except recently when I tried installing Space Quest III on my Commodore 286, I use a 2gig hdd in it and have like 1,9gig free but the SQ III installer said I had only 2mb free disk space 😳

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 6, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so unusual. I have seen a few games that refuse to install on huge drives. Usually, I use a small drive and move them once they are ready.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:
keropi wrote:

Me eiher except recently when I tried installing Space Quest III on my Commodore 286, I use a 2gig hdd in it and have like 1,9gig free but the SQ III installer said I had only 2mb free disk space 😳

that's a bug in the installer, dm has nothing to do with it :p a quick solution would be to install on a ramdrive, then copy to real hdd