VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a clean, working 486 system. The motherboard has 3 pci [white] and 3 isa slots [black], but also has a brown isa slot between them that looks different from the others but it seems like isa cards would fit in it. What would that be and should I worry about it? 🤣

Reply 4 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like an EISA or PISA or OPTI LOCAL BUS slot.

EISA:

300px-EISA_Bus.jpg

PISA:

bph-0502p.jpg

The OPTI LOCAL BUS SLOT is identical with the EISA slot, I toasted an EISA mobo by using a Tseng ET4000 OPTI LOCAL BUS gfx card in it...I didn't know about OPTI LOCAL BUS at that time 😳

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really need to get my act together with digital cameras... However the unidentified slot seems to be a PISA slot. The board has printed on it AB PB4 Rev 1.3. and stason.org has rev 1.1 and 1.2 and both have a PISA between the PCI and ISA slots. What would this slot be used for? PISA seems to be for embedded/industrial computers, is this where some sort of backplane would slot in? Looks a bit awkward amongst the other slots.

Reply 7 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

I really need to get my act together with digital cameras... However the unidentified slot seems to be a PISA slot. The board has printed on it AB PB4 Rev 1.3. and stason.org has rev 1.1 and 1.2 and both have a PISA between the PCI and ISA slots. What would this slot be used for? PISA seems to be for embedded/industrial computers, is this where some sort of backplane would slot in? Looks a bit awkward amongst the other slots.

Had one of those Abit mobo's but it was dead on arrival

The PISA slot is used for single-board computers
Sort of the same stuff Asrock has on their mobo's

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Had one of those Abit mobo's but it was dead on arrival

I wish I could say the same for my opti 486 board; I've dug it out of the rubbish pile and wasted more hours today trying to get it working. I have a feeling the mobo is fine but the scsi card is dead, the ide card is half-dead, and both graphics cards i have are also half dead. fleabay ftw.

Amigaz wrote:

The PISA slot is used for single-board computers
Sort of the same stuff Asrock has on their mobo's

The asrock x58 super-computer that uses sli to pull together multiple gpu-based processors? Do you mean an sbc would work alongside the mainboard processor in the old abit board? Not that I'd experiment as it seems to work well as a win95 box. But I'd always assumed sbc's required a passive backplane.