VOGONS

NV RIVA 128 Brochure

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dug this up on archive.org a while back and a thread here reminded me of it. I captured the web pages into PNGs.

It's the best list of detailed specs for the chip that I've found, and also tells you just what RIVA meant. 😁

riva128brochure01.png
riva128brochure02.png
riva128brochure03.png
riva128brochure04.png
riva128brochure05.png

Reply 2 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another good post from swaaye. 😀

I have a Diamond Riva 128. It's a reasonably common card, and so I guess it was quite popular/successful back in the day. But this specific card has a PCB revision letter of "G". (Most seem to be "D" or alphabetically less.) It's also got a small golden/orange heatsink on the main chip. However I'm not sure if that was added by a previous owner.

I've moved all my retro nik naks from the stove hot (summer months) attic to the garage. Sometime this year, I'm going to retest everything. As I plough through everything again (in order to make sure I've got all the correct drivers, software, manuals, BIOSes, etc) when I spot it, I'll take a photo of it and add it to this thread.

Reply 3 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have a Diamond Viper V330. Popular, indeed. I have a STB Velocity 128 which was used in lots of Gateway 2000 systems among others.

I've seen them come bare chip and with pathetic little u-shaped IC "heatsinks". It's possible that later boards got better heatsinks because this was when heat output started to become worthy of a heatsink and they may have run into problems with going cheap and no heatsinks.

Stole some pics from the web. 😁

Attachments

• diamond_viper330.jpg
    Filename
    diamond_viper330.jpg
    File size
    100.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • velocity128.jpg
    Filename
    velocity128.jpg
    File size
    77.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by swaaye on 2010-02-24, 19:07. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 20, by exxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got a STB Velocity 128 PCI last week
also have a heatsink that normally used for voltage transformers and a wire on the back

why i see only links and not the pictures like on the post from swaaye?
oh and its NV3

Attachments

• Filename
    velocity_128pci_01.JPG
    File size
    323.51 KiB
    Downloads
    368 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    velocity_128pci_02.JPG
    File size
    308.14 KiB
    Downloads
    375 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might have to do with the file extension being in caps? Or something funky about your JPEGs themselves. I had this problem with the brochure pics so just used Imageshack.

Reply 12 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine isn't particularly fuzzy.... STB Velocity 128. Sounds like NV cards were varying in output quality back then too then.

I thought it was pretty good. When I switched it out for the Verite V1000 then things got fuzzy. Yuck.

Which reminds me... I have two Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 cards. They are basically identical but one isn't quite as sharp. So I suppose this is something that varies more than one might imagine.

Reply 13 of 20, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
valnar wrote:

No, the RAMDAC on any RIVA 128 board I've ever seen was very bad. Fuzzy text, etc.

I can't reproduce this either with one of my Riva128 based cards.
Only if I push the DAC to its maximum at 1600x1200@85 Hz it gets slightly blurry around the pixels. But this can also be partial related to the signal circuity in the CRT.

Reply 14 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an ASUS and an ELSA Riva128 cards, none have blurry/fuzzy picture quality...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
unmei220 wrote:

I have a Diamond Viper V330 PCI, Riva128. Output is very clear on mine.

Same here. I have a few of these cards. I notice that there are quite a few revisions. For example, one of them is a revision G. Maybe some early versions were blurry?

Reply 17 of 20, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Stole some pics from the web. 😁

I have this Viper V330 here somewhere, guess I need more watermarks in my pictures 😉.
AFAIK the first S3 Virges (no DX) were quite blurry.