VOGONS

First post, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I frequently browse the forums at queststudios.com. Queststudios.com is a website that archives music from old sierra adventure games. It is quite a treasure of a website.

I am a choir teacher and seem to have hit upon 2 rather time consuming hobbies that take my mind off of work. I love playing old computer games and I love messing with Cubase. I have Cubase 5 because I sequence soundtracks for musicals and such; Nice hobby, it even pays sometimes! Though I would be the first to admit that I am a rookie at this sort of work.

Anyways I got the wonderful idea to import some of the midi files from queststudios.com into cubase and start messing around with the instruments in the tracks to try and make the music sound more acoustic. I have a large database of commerical and free soundbanks that I use in my soundtrack sequencing to mess around with.

I posted the links to my first 3 experiments over a queststudios for people to listen to. I am going to also post the links at this forum for people to listen to. I would enjoy CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, I am the first to admit that I am a rookie in this sort of thing.

This is the Adventurer's Guild Theme from Quest for Glory 4. Once I become more finessed with my equipment (and start taking cubase classes at the University while I am studying for my Masters Degree) I might start actually arranging the music, but for now I am content to make the midi files sound a tad more realistic. Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mhywnjfj5in

The next piece is Erana's Garden from Quest for Glory 1. I am uploading two versions. Tell me which one you like more and why. One track has a nylon sting guitar strumming the arpeggio in the background and the other has a jazz guitar playing the arpeggio that I slightly tweaked to make it sound more airy:

Nylon String Guitar Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?gzt5kz3mjzj

Jazz Sting Guitar Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?lynxgw4uznt

Make sure you listen all the way through. Mark Seibert is a really good composer. He lets the music build over almost 4 minutes. 2 minutes and 40 seconds is where the piece hits the climatic passage.

The Next two pieces I am going to work on are Fatima's Dance from Conquests of Camelot and Wattling Street from Conquests of the Longbow. 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, memories.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 😀

I do have to say that the realism of the instruments somehow takes away a bit of the nostalgia of the game.

I recall recently being in an argument on the Vintage Computer Forum with someone about this very subject. Turns out I have to agree with him after all...

But don't be offended! This is in a way actually a compliment, because the instruments sound so realistic. 😉

Reply 2 of 4, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Erm... yeah agreed, if you're going to use Cubase or a modern sequencer, don't use synthesis and realistic samples if you want to have a nostalgic feeling to it. MIDI is OK I guess, but many games also used Tracker formats (especially Vic 20/Amiga and etc) If you've ever played the games Epic Pinball or Jazz Jackrabbit (1 or 2) they both use ScreamTracker formats and have an amazing nostalgic sound.

And with programs like OpenMPT which is opensource and free, and millions of free samples out there in 8 and 16 bit alike, it's very fast and easy to create decent-quality tracks without the expense or learning curve of a studio sequencer.

Of course, you're wanting to make an adventure game (?) so music is an important thing on the ambience, i guess you stick to what you're best at. Check out Michael Van Den Bos who is a Tracker for Triumph Studios, some of the best "classical" Impule Tracker tracks in existence. Raphael is another master in my books, another tracker who did "Flashback - Quest for Identity". Lastly, If you're familiar with the Amiga or C64 videogame scene then 90% of music there are produced in a tracker too.

All in all, as a QFG fan I do like it. Excuse my open rant of 8-bit addiction and do what feels natural, it's art after all 😀

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ST-## samples often used in tracker modules give a nostalgic sound to any song though I don't know if they're even fully legal since some samples obviously sample commercial songs (Yay sampler war!). Fortunately you don't have to use them. You could even mock the sound SNES or even Megadrive (and its Super 32x) in .mod format.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a link to "Watling Street" from Conquests of the Longbow

http://www.mediafire.com/?d0yowmymhiz

I had to tweak the Nylon String Guitar sound, also let me know how you like the pan pipe sound for the lead instrument.

Using the realistic samples is nostalgic for me because this is how I heard the music in my head as it came out of the SB16.

On the other hand you have piqued my interest. After this little project of mine is done (sampling the music to sound more acoustic) redoing this music in a more "authentic" nostalgic manner sounds really interesting..... and I would learn a lot. =)