VOGONS

Sound Blaster PCI128

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I have a PCI128 card (CT4700- the rebranded Ensoniq 1370/ 1371) and can't seem to find any Win 98 drivers that work. All I seem to be getting from Creative's site are some add-on useless registration crap files. Also from some googling it seems Creative doesn't list drivers for this card anymore- they only have non-Ensoniq PCI128 drivers.

Does anyone know where to get a driver for this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 4 of 23, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

if you search the creative download section for es1371 you should find the drivers. I couldn't find anything earlier though, like sb16 and such.

I did go to the creative site and tried all possible drivers incl es1371. Didn't work though...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

SB16/32/64 and variants are not a prob as PNP drivers are already incl in win98se. That's my current onboard sound card (sb16 on a cu430hx).

Reply 7 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

hmphh. no luck at all... I think I'll get another card- something not by creative this time. maybe a c-media 8738.

Have you tried driverguide.com? I just looked on that website for CT4700, and DL'd a package called SOUND_BLASTER_PCi_128_CT-4700. You might want to give that a try.

Reply 8 of 23, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

hmphh. no luck at all... I think I'll get another card- something not by creative this time. maybe a c-media 8738.

Have you tried driverguide.com? I just looked on that website for CT4700, and DL'd a package called SOUND_BLASTER_PCi_128_CT-4700. You might want to give that a try.

Thanks! Downloading now...

wish I'd known about that earlier, but I'm totally noobish about soundcards 🙁

Reply 9 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

Okay so some 128PCI cards, like yours, require another type of windows driver... now that is convenient.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Creative has a few old cards like this with hard to find drivers because they couldn't be bothered to put together an all inclusive package for every card revision.

...which in turn is because most of those cards are simply relabeled cards made by companies that Creative bought out, with re-branded drivers...

Reply 14 of 23, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ retrogames- I downloaded the entire install cd. The drivers sort of work in that there is now sound, but unfortunately that sound happens to be mixed with a lot of screeching/static. Maybe my card is shot?

This is turning out to be very time consuming. I'm inclined at this point to exchange this card for a c-media or anything non- Creative for that matter.

Reply 15 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

@ retrogames- I downloaded the entire install cd. The drivers sort of work in that there is now sound, but unfortunately that sound happens to be mixed with a lot of screeching/static. Maybe my card is shot?

This is turning out to be very time consuming. I'm inclined at this point to exchange this card for a c-media or anything non- Creative for that matter.

I think this is a fairly common problem with early Creative PCI sound cards. Some things to consider -

-If you installed from a (downloaded) CD, then there's probably a downloadable driver update.

-There may be a resource problem. The IRQ assigned to the card may be inappropriate, or it may be better to put the card in another PCI slot. Edit: I think this problem can be caused by an AGP graphics card hogging the system's resources.

What are the PC components you're using? Also, it may be quicker to try another card - there's still quite a few win9x cards available cheaply on ebay.

Reply 16 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

Do yourself a favor and get a Vortex 2 soundcard. Or when DOS does not matter to you a Santa Cruz soundcard instead.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 17 of 23, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, here's the setup that I'm trying to use this card on:
Pentium 233MMX
Intel CU430HX motherboard - 2 PCI, 2 ISA slots
128mb ram
1x Voodoo 2
3com 905b ISA ethernet card
Win 98SE

So, no question of there being AGP related issues. And I've set IRQ assignment at automatic. Otherwise if left to manual, I got blue screens complaining that the IRQ assignments were off.

gerwin wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Do yourself a favor and get a Vortex 2 soundcard. Or when DOS does not matter to you a Santa Cruz soundcard instead.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see what I can get my hands on. This time though, I'll make sure to go for something with (easily) available drivers

Reply 18 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative's PCI sound cards are notorious for screeching and popping, especially on VIA motherboard chipsets. The reason is that Creative bought their way into the PCI sound card market and didn't really understand how it worked for a long time...

Make sure to install the newest applicable motherboard chipset drivers you can find, and maybe look for PCI timing settings in your BIOS.

Reply 19 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some mobos have absolutely horrible PCI implementations. A combination of shoddy chipset design, board design and poorly programmed BIOSs. You just don't notice this with anything other than RAID and sound cards because most PCI cards don't need lots of bandwidth or tight latency. And sound cards give you nice audio feedback to let you know that things aren't pretty. 😁

I've run into problems with Vortex 2 and AudioPCI pops/clicks. Some video cards crank their PCI latency time to the max so they can hog the bus and this can cause problems for sound cards. I think that sound cards that process many channels in hardware are even more sensitive to it.

And yes AGP card latency affects the PCI bus.