VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😁

It's an ASUS AGP-V6600 Deluxe 32MB SDR AGP.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-agp,153.html
v6600.jpg

I stumbled on this auction the other day. $9 shipping included to US folks. I'd been wanting to add a GF256 to the collection for awhile and this is about as nice as they come and as cheap as they come heh. He had two of them. One left!

Interestingly it sounds like the Deluxe has some sort of fan control.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=190401210827

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-06-09, 16:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card came with 3D glasses, like on this photo http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/asus_v … ter_glasses.jpg
Were the glasses included?

edit: just looked up the auction. It doesn't mention the 3D-glasses, so I guess they weren't 😉

Reply 2 of 12, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice one. Nvidia cards are actually my favourites, and I do like collecting them. I think that if it weren't for the fact that they're still in business, they would be as collectible as 3dfx? 😉

Reply 3 of 12, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the card along with the 3D glasses. The deal even included the driver CDs and DVD-Player. Got it for 1 Euro, but there was an aweful lot more "old scrap" in the package. I think I bought the whole deal for a Voodoo 1.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 4 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Note that Asus V6600 models are GeForce 256 cards with 5 ns SDR memory. Faster than usual 6 ns SDR, but no match for Asus V6800's 6 ns DDR anyway. I have never improved so much my Quake3 skills as when I went from 40 FPS @ 1024x768x16 with Voodoo^2 SLI to 100 FPS @ 1024x768x32 with GeForce 256 DDR.

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had myself convinced this was one of the DDR models. Whatever shall I do. 😀

5ns SGRAM is the same stuff on a G400 MAX.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-06-09, 00:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would be on top of this but I just this week I bought a BFG 6800 GT AGP for a kick ass win98 machine I'm working on and a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT AGP. Woot finally got a Kyro without breaking the bank.

Reply 8 of 12, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

I would be on top of this but I just this week I bought a BFG 6800 GT AGP for a kick ass win98 machine I'm working on and a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT AGP. Woot finally got a Kyro without breaking the bank.

How do I bring this to you? I tried that very approach with a passive 6800. While it was indeed a "flat" 60 Hz frame rate for any game I tried, I also learned, that some windows games don't really like this card any more. There are not many win98 drivers out there, which support the card. And even worse: Those few, which support the card, frequently don't support the game. I wanted to run European Air War on this, and it turned out, I was limited to a single beta driver (71.??) that would do it. Some other games refused to work with this driver.

I don't know your agenda, but there are not too many titles that are win98 only & every MHz counts. So I shelved the "Win98 overlord machine" for the time being, stuck in a GF7900 and use it as an extra LAN-party pc for now.

But from my experiments then, I concluded that older win98 titles don't really need or sometimes even like a GF6800. I stumbled upon the recomendation to use a GF4 or GF5 instead, for greater driver compatibility. So should I resume that project (hope not, I'm trying to fill the niche with a P3-1000 and a V5-5500), I would instead try a GF4 4200 or an FX 5?00.

Reply 10 of 12, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:
bushwack wrote:

I don't know your agenda, but there are not too many titles that are win98 only & every MHz counts.

It would be nice to have the power to run a game in 3D using my shutter glasses and still hit 60+ fps. I might dual boot with XP too.

Reply 11 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

How do I bring this to you? I tried that very approach with a passive 6800. While it was indeed a "flat" 60 Hz frame rate for any game I tried, I also learned, that some windows games don't really like this card any more. There are not many win98 drivers out there, which support the card. And even worse: Those few, which support the card, frequently don't support the game.

I think you should ask Malik for the solution; he's the one who have successfully installed GeForce 6800 on Windows 98. By the way, is it error 7217 you're talking about?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 12, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look, EAW is not the problem. It will run with the GF6800 both in D3D and with a glide wrapper under win98. But it requires the 71.something driver. I wrote that before. I got it to work on my Quad core with GF9800 too, in the patched up version under XP. Very garbled menus there, but OK in the air.

Should I ever return to that project, I will try downgrading the card.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.