VOGONS

First post, by sharc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've got an old 386 here that i thought had a fried motherboard. after getting some help from a friend though, it turns out i just did a crap job of testing the ram; i have two bad banks and a dead cd controller card to boot.

so i have two questions for you fine folks. first, can anyone recommend particularly reliable brands for an isa cd controller card?

and second, i am in kind of a predicament with the ram since the frame that holds the 3.5 drives sits so close that the frame and ram will scrape against each other. so does anyone know which manufacturers put out 30-pin simm ram sticks that are a little shorter than average? odd question, but i figure if there's one place that i could get it answered, it's here.

Reply 2 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sharc wrote:

so i have two questions for you fine folks. first, can anyone recommend particularly reliable brands for an isa cd controller card?

Yes, many soundcards have them, but check twice if it's an IDE controller, not a proprietary one.

sharc wrote:

and second, i am in kind of a predicament with the ram since the frame that holds the 3.5 drives sits so close that the frame and ram will scrape against each other. so does anyone know which manufacturers put out 30-pin simm ram sticks that are a little shorter than average? odd question, but i figure if there's one place that i could get it answered, it's here.

Look for modules with 3 ram chips instead of 9.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 7, by sharc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ah. well, now i feel dumb. the drive is a panasonic cr-589 with an ide cable so the sb16 in here takes care of that. derp.

the one set of ram i have that fits are panasonic (4mb, three chips), and i couldn't turn up any more of them by checking with friends or searching ebay. they're 12mm tall and will let the drive bracket in fairly comfortably; even shorter would be better but i don't know they go that small. the other set look to be by a company called reveal. they're 14mm and are much too tall (and are also three-chip, 4mb sticks).

Reply 6 of 7, by sharc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm on the east coast of the us - it's fine if you don't have any to spare though, i don't need handouts so much as brand names to look for. hell if most ebay sellers can be bothered to bust out a ruler and measure a stick of ram they're selling at a dollar each.