VOGONS

First post, by john.mitchels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I know this is not gaming but it is something you guys just might know about. Now I have happily been running old games with the help of this forum for quite some time but I have reached a problem with which I could do with some help.

In the real world when I am not gaming. I work at a university running electron microscopes, one of which was released in 1993. The problem it was one of the first of a type with a digital control card which drives the controls. That pc is now failing and I need to replace it but I was wondering what would be the best way of doing it before I start poking around with it.

The problem is that the control programme is runs 3.1 and has 2 essential ISA cards (video editing card and a microscope controller scorpion card). I need those cards to run but it is very hard to find a pc of the exact same architecture so a straight clone is out of the question. I have got several slightly later 486s with 95 on them with win95 on them and I was wondering if there would be any easy way of running 3.1 programmes on the newer 95 (i have to confess my computer education started with xp so i don't have much experience with these older operating systems. I would like to run it on 95 to allow me to run some more software that is currently on a separate pc next to the microscope (that is on 95) most of the cards have generic drivers. I'm not really sure where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, we use this microscope for school demonstrations so any help in keeping it alive a little longer would be great.
John

Reply 3 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
john.mitchels wrote:

That pc is now failing and I need to replace it

What on that PC is failing? If it's a power supply or harddrive issue those might prove easier to address.

john.mitchels wrote:

I would like to run it on 95 to allow me to run some more software that is currently on a separate pc next to the microscope (that is on 95) most of the cards have generic drivers. I'm not really sure where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure the mother board has the correct expansion slots for the cards you need to move over.
Install the drivers to make sure they work in Windows 95.
If that works out go ahead and move the cards over.
Is there something about the systems that would make it more complicated than that?

Reply 4 of 11, by john.mitchels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wondered if there was hidden complications. I will give it a go. The problem is that motherboard and the hardware has been running 24/7 for 17 years and it is all failing. The control card is slightly newer as that was replaced from another dead microscope. I will have a go at swapping it all over and report back, im sure there will be issues as nothing with this microscope is easy!

On this particular microscope we have 4 add ons one on 3.1, another on 95 another on 98 and another on 2000 is there any way to run these on an xp computer? To control all the hardware we would need 6 isa slots is this something that is made commercially these days? The microscope is still work $100,000 but the pc is fried. Sorry if I am being a little vague but as the pc is nearly as old as I am im finding this process a bit over my head.

I will have a go at the swap over to 95 as that may solve our problems. BTW i have had a lot of hardware and components donated from people with dead pcs do people on this forum put up items for redistribution? Once I have solved this problem there will be alot of bits left over. I have about 15 pcs worth of bits from from 386 onwards and I would hate for them to go to waste 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
john.mitchels wrote:

On this particular microscope we have 4 add ons one on 3.1, another on 95 another on 98 and another on 2000 is there any way to run these on an xp computer? To control all the hardware we would need 6 isa slots is this something that is made commercially these days?

WHAT?

Does all the six ISA slots need to be on the same PC, or can you "distribute" the control to several PCs? If the latter, then you can buy 440BX motherboards (Pentium III) and build a P3 system on each. Typically those boards have 2 or 1 ISA slots. Then you can install Win 98 or Win2000, and off you go.

Of course, it also depends on your labs' budget.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 11, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
john.mitchels wrote:

On this particular microscope we have 4 add ons one on 3.1, another on 95 another on 98 and another on 2000 is there any way to run these on an xp computer? To control all the hardware we would need 6 isa slots is this something that is made commercially these days?

WHAT?

As long as you don't need fast 3D graphic capabilites, this should be no problem.
There are 14-Slot PCIMG 1.0 backplanes with more than six ISA slots, i.e. here:

http://www.industrial-computers.com/products/ … -backplanes.php

This industrial backplanes can house various PICMG 1.0 (other standards, like PICMG 1.2. or 1.3. will not work) or ISA-only single board cpu cards, ranging from a 386SX board to a Intel Core 2 Duo.
Full-size SBCs look like those (you have to scroll down for the PCIMG 1.0 ones that still support passive backplanes with ISA slots):

http://www.industrial-computers.com/products/ … d-computers.php

Those SBCs are complete motherboards as cpu cards that you have to plug in one of the passive backplanes mentioned above (plugging them in a normal motherboard may destroy them).

Than you have to choose an industrial case and a good PSU. And someone who assembles it for you, if you don't know how to do it (as industrial Pcs are a little bit different)

Of course, it also depends on your labs' budget.

That's the point. A new industrial pc will be expensive.

On the other hand - replacing your old lab pc with some still working computer of the same age might only delay the problem for a year or two.

Btw - did you take a look inside your broken or nearly-broken computer?
(Maybe it's already industrial standard and you only have to replace the cpu card?)

Reply 8 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why bother with BX? LX should be fast enough, and usually offer 3 ISA slots, maybe even more.

The BX is more friendly to videocards. TNTs and newer won't work with the LX, only the Riva128 and older will.

Reply 9 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember running a TNT in an LX mobo once. It worked. A friend of mine had a PII 266 on an LX mobo with an SiS 6326 and needed an upgrade.

Maybe they are more picky but they should run just about any AGP 2x card.

Reply 11 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Newer cards work just fine in my LX machine... I know I've had a Geforce2 in it, I think I also had a Radeon 7200 in it at one point, and it's currently using a TNT2 without any issues. It really doesn't seem to be any pickier than a BX board.