VOGONS

First post, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Besides the AGP voltage issue, and whether later Os have the necessary drivers, are there any other reasons why you could get problems putting Voodoo cards in later systems?

I saw on falconfly.de there might be overheating problems with Athlon XPs, but it looks like some people run these bits of hardware together without issue.

Not so much interested in running a V2 in an up to date system, as knowing how recent you can get before you run into problems.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Voodoo5 PCI is probably the best you can get. Because of the AGP voltage issue those V5 AGP ones probably won't run on any board since the last 3-5 years...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah Voodoo5 is a 3.3v card. That means the newest slot you can put it in is a AGP 4x universal slot.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/newagp.html

Voodoo5 PCI all the way.

Reply 3 of 6, by beepfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I'm aware of the agp voltage issue, I meant is there a point at which you start to have problems using voodoo PCI cards, whether v2 v3 or v5. Or is it safe to assume 3dfx pci cards will run in any pci board?

It was the reference to overheating that worried me.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think there is an issue with VodooX and PCI which causes overheating. There might be an issue with old hardware failing, namely the fans not being as strong as they were meant to be...
But I'm no expert, my old V5 AGP doesn't fit in my iMac...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Yeah Voodoo5 is a 3.3v card. That means the newest slot you can put it in is a AGP 4x universal slot.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/newagp.html

Voodoo5 PCI all the way.

Aren't the different voltages keyed differently so you can't put them in the wrong voltage slot?