VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello I have a machine which recently started acting weird.

Pentium 3 1GHz (Slot 1, 133MHz version)
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
Gigabyte GA-BX2000 440BX based motherboard
GeForce 2 Ti AGP
Voodoo 2 12MB SLI
Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold ISA
Western Digital 20GB harddisk
DVD-RW
Windows 98SE

Now the problem is that recently the DVD-RW drive stopped playing cd-audio music. I tried it from Windows, DOS-Mode and it just doesn't do anything. The drive seems to be working fine and it's only a half year old so no problems there. I tried cranking up CD Audio through the volume control and that did nothing. So I just formatted ( not just because of this but anyway) my HDD and installed Win98SE again. The problem remains!
I went ahead and tried another drive and it worked flawlessly! I also tried the "faulty" one on my main PC and it worked great there!
So what the hell is wrong there? The drive used to work just fine on my Retro PC but now it won't.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't remember if it's in the CDROM properties or somewhere else but isn't there a "digital audio" checkbox option that if checked uses the IDE cable instead of the seperate audio cable?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 19, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That tick is locked for me, I can't change it 🙁

Ok here's a weird one:
Music plays fine using Windows Media Player 9. Using the normal CD-Player though I still get the same shit!
Blasted Windows 98 :@

Reply 5 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, under the devices section in WMP there should be digital/analog settings for your CD drive.

I could be wrong but the old cd player might be analog only.

Reply 6 of 19, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also another quite infamous issue. Almost all modern optical drives just can't play audio cds by analog way even given the fact that they still have that analog audio out interface. WMP 9 reads audio track in digital that why it works in it.
There is no any info in the net about this issue. Some time ago i tested it with various Optiarc and Asus drives - same problem.
Symptom - cd in drive just don't start to spin, zero volume level isn't problem in this case!

Reply 8 of 19, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

That tick is locked for me, I can't change it 🙁

that is probably because you don't have an audio cable going from your cdrom to your soundcard

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 19, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do have an audio cable and I even tried a couple of others in case it was faulty. The problem is that this current drive will work on another computer (using the cable) and it used to work just fine on this pc as well. I tried another drive on this pc and it works like charm.

Reply 10 of 19, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how is the dvd set up master or slave ?

does it have a headphone socket on the front of it ?
what happens if you plug in some headphones ?
your audio out on the dvd is how many pins ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also an MS article about V,X,D vs WDM sound drivers for CD Audio. So could be a sound card driver issue.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2010-06-26, 23:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 12 of 19, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My DVD is on Master and doesn't have a headphone jack or volume control in front. My audio out is the classic 4 pin , the later, black one, not the white one.
My AWE64 has 2 CD-In slots, one is the older type and the other one is the newer one. I've tried both with the same results.
I also tried changing drivers. I guess the next move would be trying out a live CD with ubuntu.

Reply 13 of 19, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think the operating system has any means of detecting wether the audio cable is actually connected. Did you upgrade the firmware on that drive?

Try something like http://www.frontiernet.net/~fys/cdp.htm from DOS (use the boot menu to get to DOS so Win98 doesn't have a chance to mess with the drive). You'll need mscdex too.

1+1=10